It is Much More Then "Just Weed" | Teen Ink

It is Much More Then "Just Weed"

October 23, 2014
By torihoff BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
torihoff BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

There are an extreme amount of different puns used to help kids steer clear of drugs. More often then not, they are extraordinarily cheesy and miss the point. I mean we get it; if we were asked to choose between a pug or doing drugs, always pick the pug. From the time 4th grade rolled around we were getting flooded with this idea that drugs will kill us, no doubt about it. No specific reason until we were a little older but as a 10 year old you need to understand that drugs and alcohol will kill you most defiantly.  But being completely honest that is not the case. There is no reason why one should be doing drugs but smoking plain marijuana will not kill you. There is a little something that was not really even mentioned to us, which is teens actually die from drug overdose not just older people whose lives fell apart. We are being put into the shadows and lied to about the kind of people who use drugs. It was never really spelled out that normal people, parents and teens, have drug problems; it seemed like they wanted us to believe that only really messed up people did which is not the case at all. The horror stories of someone dying from drug overdose used to seem far and few but as we get to high school, it changes completely. The truth about drugs seemed to be reveled and it is terrifying. There is a fairy new drug, which was developed in 2008, that is known as Synthetic Weed, it has very similar effects to marijuana. Some effects that Synthetic Weed has that marijuana does not is that it has hallucinogenic properties; it can also cause high blood pressure, seizures, and many other negative and frightening effects. It even has long-term effects such as cancer.  Synthetic Weed and any other drugs might seem like a good idea at the time but the effects that they have are tremendously negative.
There is another aspect of drugs that teens were put in the dark about. Obviously heroin is instantaneously addictive. That is terrifying. Teens do not fully understand that other drugs that are not obviously addictive are actually very addictive.  It seems to be believed that marijuana is not and cannot become addicted. The idea that teens will not become depended on it seems to be a reason on their pro list to smoke but that is not completely true. Marijuana its self is not addictive but the other aspects that go along with it can become addictive. It takes 21 days to form a habit and if a teen, or anyone, repeating the same actions of smoking everyday for 21 days they do become addicted. They become depended on the action and the effects that marijuana has on them when one smokes. It is much easier to stop smoking weed then it is to stop using heroin by a long shot, but teens should not see that as an excuse to continue to smoke. The entire idea of drugs is so incredible odd that it does make sense in multiple ways. Teens should be informed on the reality of what the drug world has become and should not be put in the darkness by adults. As much as teens love to hear corny sayings that rhyme words with drugs they would be much better off knowing the hard facts that could potentially save their lives.