YouTube | Teen Ink

YouTube

By NinaHatala SILVER, West Windsor, New Jersey
NinaHatala SILVER, West Windsor, New Jersey

Many teenagers have become somewhat obsessed with YouTube.com within the past decade. YouTube is home to millions of videos many of which are uploaded each day. There are types of people called "Youtubers"; they are people who post videos every day, every few days, or every week to share with all their subscribers. "Subscribers" are people who get notifications when a certain account uploads a video or the video is seen on their accounts "What to Watch" section on YouTube. An example of a few YouTubers that post everyday are: Shane Dawson, Joey Graceffa, Grace Helbig, and Our2ndLife. O2L is a “collab” channel, which is short for collaboration meaning that multiple people came together and formed a channel. Each day of the week, someone in the collab posts a video that relates to the certain theme of that week. Each individual then will post their video relating to the theme once a week. Each member of the ‘collab’ also has their own channel. Connor Franta, Ricky Dillon, Jc Caylen, Trevor Moran, Kian Lawley, and Sam Pottorff make up Our2ndLife and each of them post once a week on their own channel; with the exception of Connor, who occasionally posts twice a week.
There are several different types of YouTube videos that YouTubers post: vlogs (video blogs), beauty gurus, gamers (videos of them playing video games), collabs (two or more people), or just those who discuss and rant about different things. Each YouTuber’s motivation is based upon their subscribers. Whether they have hundreds, to thousands, to possibly millions of subscribers, the YouTuber understands that there are people out there who appreciate the time and effort they put into their videos and people enjoy watching them.
YouTube is not only an online phenomenon; events are held that are similar to a convention. Different ideas, editing techniques, and other video information is shared with one another. These events include: VidCon, DigiTour, and Playlist Live. DigiTour is different, meaning that it is in a show setting where the YouTuber or YouTubers go up on stage and answer questions asked by the audience members, also known as their subscribers. These events are fun for the YouTuber and the subscriber and give a result of happiness.