The Girl Behind The Pen | Teen Ink

The Girl Behind The Pen

By withoutamuse DIAMOND, Dewey, Oklahoma
withoutamuse DIAMOND, Dewey, Oklahoma

Flaws are the keyholes we look through to discover a person's character. This is why, in my opinion, it is always better to read through the rough drafts and revisions of a person's work rather than their finished products. It's interesting to see into someone's mind for the briefest of moments and attempt to understand how they perceive the world. However, no one truly wants to be understood. To completely "get" something takes away from the thrill, the appeal of it, and every one of us, whether we admit it or not, wants to retain a certain amount of appeal.
Writing, for me, isn't about letting others "get to know" me. But rather, it's a way to reflect and become increasingly familiar with myself and the way I express things. My end goal is not to tell a good story, but rather to discover yet another facet of myself. I don't want to explain myself to the world, for to do so would be the equivalent of spoiling the end to a good movie. I just want to live my life and write about the up's and down's from here to eternity.
Sometimes I feel like my mind is blank and I'm looking left and right, desperate for inspiration and aim. Sometimes not making sense makes sense to me. Everything is really a matter of writer's preference. I refuse to say that great writing is made up of word choice and spontaneity, for I am not a great writer and risk never becoming one. Perhaps I will always be a girl made up of flaws, keyholes for the world to watch me through. I will always continue to write and revise, consistently digging and discovering more than the here and the now, consistently ready to discover myself.