Sleep! | Teen Ink

Sleep!

By Nicole9321 SILVER, West Windsor, New Jersey
Nicole9321 SILVER, West Windsor, New Jersey

It’s five-forty five in the morning. I slowly roll to the side of my bed and tap the snooze button on my phone. Within seconds I am fast asleep again, only to be waken up by the sound of my alarm going off at six. I roll over to my side, again, tap the snooze button, and fall back into sleep. This process goes on for at least ten more times, or until i realize that my bus is coming in five minutes. Every morning I find myself struggling to get out of bed to start the day, and I think this is because of my lack of sleep. I start my homework as soon as I get home, but I find myself finishing it at midnight, and by the time I get to bed, I am exhausted, soon to be woken up by my alarm.

Teenagers need around eight to ten hours of sleep each night, and research shows that not enough teens are getting that many hours of sleep. Sleep is extremely important, especially for teens, because it will helps be more awake throughout the day, and with a lot of other things. Proper sleep is important for proper growth, which many teenagers don't understand.

I think one of the main reasons for sleep deprivation is because school begins so early in the morning. When I know I have to get up for something, I usually get a bad night’s sleep because I know I only have a certain number of hours to sleep. The other day, my school had a delayed opening, which meant I could set my alarm for eight o’clock, a whole two hours and fifteen additional minutes of sleep. That day, I felt more energized than I ever had, which was {I think) due to the two hours and fifteen extra minutes of sleep.

Overall, I think if teenagers were to focus more on how much sleep they are getting, they could be happier and become better people.