A Short Biography on Cleopatra, Queen of Egypt | Teen Ink

A Short Biography on Cleopatra, Queen of Egypt

By JennaNelson BRONZE, Barnwell, Other
JennaNelson BRONZE, Barnwell, Other

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
~Dr. Seuss

My dream is to be empress of the world and to never be forgotten. I am Cleopatra VII (7) Philopator pharaoh of Egypt. I was born in 69 BC in the month of October, in the city of Alexandria. I am the second daughter of the great Pharaoh Ptolemy XII Auletes. When I was 18 years old, I married my younger brother Ptolem, who was at the time ten years old. Egypt was raging with famine, floods, and economic difficulties. Ptolem did not know how to handle the kingdom! So, I put matters into my own hands. I divorced my brother. But, he exiled me so that he could be the sole ruler of Egypt. I wasn’t about to let my brother take my throne away that easily, so I started a rebellion. Unfortunately, I was forced to flee. I knew of one man who could help me. His name was Julius Ceasar. To get to Ceasar, I rolled myself up in a carpet and had myself smuggled into see him. Instantly, we fell in love and within 9 months, I bore a son named Ptolemy Caesar who was nicknamed Caesarian, which means “Little Ceasar.” I persuaded Ceasar to go to battle against my brother. Caesar’s forces beat my brothers. In the confusion, Ptolemy tried to flee. In his attempt, he drowned. In Caesar’s win, he restored me to my rightful throne. Unfortunately, in the month of March, in the year of 44 BC, my dear Ceasar was assassinated. I had my throne restored to me; I needed to not care about the death of one man. I had to take care of my people. Because Ceasar had not mentioned me or Caesarian in his will, we were forced to flee to Alexandria, my home town. 3 years later, Marc Antony, a Roman politician and general invited me to Tarsus. I knew that someday he would be a powerful man. I seized the opportunity. I dressed as the Greek goddess Aphrodite, who is the goddess of love. I impressed him. We stayed in Tarsus through the winter. But, by spring, Mark Antony returned home. I didn't see Marc Antony for the next four years! Mark Antony had to marry Octavia, Octavian’s sister, for political reasons. In the year 35 BC Mark Antony left Italy to deal with the Parthians. His wife Octavia wanted to go with him, she did, but only half-way. He told her that she would be of more use in Rome. After Marc Antony had left, the first thing Antony did when he reached Alexandria was call for me. I had twins with Marc Antony and to celebrate, he gave me lots of land which was crucial to Egypt. This allowed Egypt to build a large fleet
When Marc Antony was fighting against the Parthians, he needed support from me and my kingdom. I decided to help him, but in time he became more and more indebted to me.
A little while later, Antony went to war against Octavian. Antony committed suicide by falling on his sword before being captured by Octavian. Octavian captured me. He planned on making me a slave and displaying me in all of the cities that I had once ruled. I would rather die than lose my honor and dignity, so I am having an asp smuggled into my quarters. Asps are holy snakes that if bitten by one, you are guaranteed immortality. I will die with my dignity. Today, August 12, 30 BC I will die and my dream to never be forgotten will come to pass.