fast food | Teen Ink

fast food

December 9, 2013
By sudha medapati SILVER, West Windsor, New Jersey
sudha medapati SILVER, West Windsor, New Jersey
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Did you know that Americans buy at least 3 hamburgers a week? What are fast foods? Fast foods are foods that are made fast not taking up much time. This refers to food like French fries, hamburgers, soda and many more. Where do they sell these? You probably have to Mc Donald’s, Wendy’s or taco bell.


Why do most Americans prefer fast foods? Many people just don’t have time to make food. Others say that it is very cheap to buy and an “on the go” snack. Many may think that fast food is a snack but the calories and nutrition disagree. For example, a medium French fri bag from Mc Donalds is about 400 cal. That’s about a full meal! Not only that but they are full of sodium, fat and carbohydrates. One of the fast food restaurants that many of us went to is subway. Subway may say their food is healthy with advertisements. But studies have shown that subway food can contain more sodium than Mc Donald’s.

There are more than 150,000 fast food restaurants in America. Some of these include Mc Donald’s, KFC, Wendy’s, Taco bell and many more. These companies serve more than 45 million customers a day! Many of these companies advertise their foods. They use many advertisements on television. They also pay sport players to say that the food is healthy.


How is this affecting our society? One of the biggest ways this affects the society is the obesity. Many people are becoming obese or over weight. America is in the top five of the fattest country in the world. A study in Stanford University, states that younger generation is being exposed to the fast foods. This is more terrifying because of the obesity level America might become.

One way to prevent damage to society with fast foods is to start slowly eating healthy. People don’t have to quit eating at fast food restaurants but can o it once or twice a month instead of three or four times a month.