Emily Dickinson | Teen Ink

Emily Dickinson

December 4, 2013
By Mikimouse888 PLATINUM, Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin
Mikimouse888 PLATINUM, Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin
22 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life isn't about the storm it's about learning to dance in the rain.


Emily Dickinson was a writer. She was born on December 10th, 1830 and her passion was writing. She wrote poems, letters, and stories. Only 2 of her poems were published in her lifetime. Emily’s father didn’t approve of her writing or reading, unless it was religious, but she didn’t care. She kept writing because it was her passion and her talent. When she wrote, she discovered her joy in the beauty and harmony of the natural world. She attended an all girls school. There, she wrote letters, funny stories, funny jokes about teachers, and shared confidences. Abiah Root attended Amherst for nine months and her and Emily formed a fast friendship. She was pretty shy, for an outgoing and imaginative writer. Emily’s brother, Austin, became her first correspondent. Emily’s strongest relationship was with Susan Gilbert. Those two eventually sent over 300 letters to each other. Emily expressed all of her emotion in her valiant efforts of writing.