Developing Characters | Teen Ink

Developing Characters

July 17, 2013
By KaylieJo BRONZE, Montpelier, Ohio
KaylieJo BRONZE, Montpelier, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Have a good one!


When developing characters it is important to remember the tasks your character must do. It is also important to remember the attitude you want your character to have. Don’t dwell on finding a name for your character at first. I have found that the best characters are not developed by a name but by actions, thought, and morals.
Start by thinking of the tasks you character will perform in your story. Will they be a nurturing character who does work with their words? Or will they be a character who does work with their actions? This will help me decide a few key things such as, gender, body stature, and other physical characteristics. In this example our character is an educator who teaches children who are financially disabled families. Our character also enjoys running and singing.
Our character is active so they are probably attractive. Our character also likes to sing and because they are a teacher most likely a nurturing character. We will say our character is a female.
Now that we know some physical traits of our character we can identify her attitude and personality. Since she is the main character she can be a good character. Our character will be kind, smart, and athletic. As you can see these characteristics not only enhance our vision of our character, but they match the tasks our character must do.
Finally, we have our physical and psychological traits determined and we can choose a name. Some options can you may consider are; Prudence which means intelligent, or Addy which means kind.


The author's comments:
Young writers sometimes struggle with naming their characters, so I came out with a a few tips on naming and creating characters.