What Make a Teacher Great | Teen Ink

What Make a Teacher Great

By daniellechilson SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
daniellechilson SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Teachers are there to give students the knowledge they need to succeed and to help students understand why that knowledge is useful to them. They give pressure and emphasize how important education is for the road ahead of them. A great teacher makes a student look forward to class.

Teachers who do little things to make a student smile or laugh are what make the class worthwhile. When students walk into their favorite class of the day, they know their teacher will be doing something to brighten their day. Great teachers have a tendency to make a lot of jokes during lectures. If you are able to laugh during something boring, you know you’re being taught by a great teacher.
Besides an occasionally funny teacher, it’s great for a student to get respect from their teachers. If you’re respectful, you should be able to receive that same amount of respect back. By having respect, students will be more comfortable in the environment they are working and learning in. No one wants a mean teacher!

You can always enjoy a class when you feel like the teacher is just like you. It’s great when you can relate to them on many levels. A teacher who tells the class stories about when they were a teenager is a great.

Great teachers are great advice givers. They’ve been in our shoes; they all have gone through high school. Teachers know best when it comes to our futures. A great teacher will help lead you in the right direction. They know your future is everything to you and they give great advice on setting goals and attaining them. They teach you how to be independent and when you go to college, you will learn that you won’t be “spoon-fed” information; you’ll have to write your own notes. It’s your responsibility to ask for extra help when needed. A great teacher helps shape you into a well-rounded, independent, and problem-solving individual.

A great teacher is witty, intelligent, and an advice-giver. Great teachers inspire and encourage you to do everything to your greatest ability because they know that it’s important for the road ahead of us.