Grateful This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

1.I'm grateful I live in a house. Some ­people don't.

But I wish I lived in a nicer house.

2. I'm grateful that I live in a house with my family, people who care for me.

But I wish it felt more like home.

3. I'm grateful there is a bathtub in our house. I'm glad I can be healthy and clean and take warm bubble baths in the winter.

But I wish there was a shower too.

4. I'm grateful I have a bed. Some people think bunk beds are fun. Some people don't even have a bed.

But my bunk bed squeaks and rattles if I even breathe too hard. I sometimes hit my head on the ceiling. I don't like having to climb down a ladder or jump down every morning. I wish I had a solid, non-squeaking, four-poster bed with a dark blue canopy.

5. I'm grateful that our house keeps us sheltered from the weather. Some people freeze to death or suffer from hyperthermia because they lack shelter.

But I wish we could turn up the heat in the winter so I could be comfortable in one sweater instead of still being cold in three. I wish we had air conditioning in the summer so I wouldn't sweat, feel sick, or lose my appetite from the heat.

6. I'm grateful that the house has a small kitchen, dining room, living room, basement, bathroom, and three bedrooms. Eight rooms may be seven more than other people have.

But I wish we had a bigger kitchen, finished basement, two bathrooms, and four bedrooms.

7. I'm grateful that our house keeps me somewhat safe. I'd hate to be completely unprotected.

But I wish our house was somewhere else. I wish the house was in a place where I didn't hear gunshots echoing at night. I wish I didn't have to worry about someone breaking into the house to steal our few valuables, or that crazy homeless man who tried to live in our backyard a few summers ago. I wish I didn't have to worry about that man down the street who sold child pornography. I wish I didn't live next to a rental property where druggies, child molesters, drunkards, and similar sorts come and go. I wish that my family's cars hadn't been stolen.

8. I'm grateful for my piano, desk, couch, and kitchen sink. I'm glad I can teach myself to play music. It is nice to have my own place to read and write. I love to curl up on the couch in the winter with hot chocolate and my history book. I'm glad the leaky tap was finally fixed, so there won't be any more water wasted.

But I wish the piano was tuned properly and the broken key was fixed, that my desk wasn't so cramped, and that the couch wasn't so worn out. I wish the bathroom sink worked. It would be nice if I didn't have to brush my teeth with the bathtub faucet. I'd like to have a dishwasher some day. I remember my grandparents had one.

9. I'm grateful that I've learned how to spend money wisely. I'm glad I understand the difference between “need” and “want.”

But I wish I didn't cringe whenever someone says “only twenty dollars.” I wish a little part of me didn't die every time I walk into a retail store. I wish I could feel that wanting something silly or impractical on occasion is okay.

10. I'm grateful for the experience of living in this house, in this place. It has taught me not to expect too much out of life. Happiness is fleeting. Happiness is luck. Joy lasts. Joy stays. I recognize that some people don't have nearly as much as I do. I know how to be frugal. I've learned that you can meet good people almost anywhere. Living in this place has taught me how to identify the sort of people I should and shouldn't trust.

But I wish I hadn't needed to hurt so much to learn those things.

Ascot said...
yesterday at 12:35 pm:
thought provoking piece. I like your tone and style, but I think you should proof read a little more thoughly. I caught a few typos.

SaffronLilyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 14 at 11:02 am:
I really like your story! :) I liked the way it paced out especially at the end.  I also loved the way it was listed!

Little_Blue_Lights This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 15 at 12:10 pm :
I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for reading and commenting!

JustMeAndTheTARDIS said...
Jun. 13 at 8:55 pm:
I think this is deep. I compliment you for putting this. I sometimes think I have a terrible life sometimes. But I don't. I have a great one. This put things in perspective and made me think just a bit. And great articles make you think. So thank you.

Jun. 14 at 10:05 am :
Thanks for the comment! I'm glad it made you think. As I get older perspective becomes a harder pill to swallow.  Oh, and on a completly unrelated note I LOVE your username and avatar.