I.S.G.M. | Teen Ink

I.S.G.M. MAG

By Anonymous

   "Where can I find the painting that's shown on the postcard?" That's the question I'm often asked when I volunteer at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston.

Volunteering was something I never really considered doing until last summer. I had just finished a seven-week job program at a bank and I realized how bored I was going to be. There was nothing exciting to do except shopping with friends, reading, playing tennis, and watching TV. Then one night, I went through this box filled with old memories and I found a lifetime admissions pass to the Gardner Museum, which I had received when I visited in sixth grade. At that very moment, I decided to get a volunteer position there to keep myself busy before school started.

It was not until late August when I was finally notified of a volunteer position at I.S.G.M. I didn't really want to volunteer anymore because school was about to resume. But I decided to try it for fun. At first, the job was not very exciting because all I did was open boxes and price items for the gift shop. But soon I had the opportunity to assist customers and work as a cashier in the gift shop along with what I did at first. The best part was that I met visitors coming from around the world.

What makes volunteering at the I.S.G.M. so much "fun" is that I never feel as if I have to do something. I try to contribute as much of my time as possible. All the staff members are very friendly and sincere, and I never feel out of place.

It's been three months since I started volunteering and I'm still enjoying every minute of it. I learn something new every day; at the same time, the same question is still being asked by visitors, "Where can I find this painting in the museum?" fl