John Davison Rockefeller

Small oil companies feared him. University of Chicago students were grateful towards him. Impoverished families envied him. Who is this mystery man, you ask? Why, it is none other than the most renowned robber baron from the turn of the century, also known as John Davison Rockefeller! John Rockefeller made America look financially advanced during the Gilded Age, created an oil company that changed many lives during the gilded age and the industrial revolution, and used many of his honorable and not-so-honorable personality traits to become a successful businessman He also wiped away oil competitors through a business monopoly, provided Wisconsin mill workers with employment, and was a very charitable person.
John Davison Rockefeller’s lifestyle was considered the gold covering of America during the Gilded Age. He became rich through the Oil Industry and made many people envious of his wealth, which he had built to be the largest fortune in the United States during that time. Even today, one may hear the phrase “rich as Rockefeller”, as his name has become equal with the notion of large personal prosperity. Rockefeller cumulated a total fortune of close to $1 billion, an unheard of amount for his day.
John Davison Rockefeller created an oil empire that helped to fuel the Industrial Revolution. When he was only nineteen, he started his first company with a young Englishman. The company was called Clark and Rockefeller. In 1859, they branched out into oil refining with Samuel Andrews. Within two years, Rockefeller became senior partner. A second refinery was established by Rockefeller in 1865. Rockefeller used financial help and new partners to survive the ruthless rivalries in the oil industry. By the 1870s, his oil industries grew to include refineries, lubrication plants, pipelines, cooperage plants, and other enterprises.
John Davison Rockefeller was prudent, diligent, and self-reliant. He was known to some as a ruthless businessman because he constantly tried to save costs where possible and often reinvested his savings into his business. Rockefeller formed the Standard Oil Company in 1869, and soon dominated oil refining in the Cleveland region. In coming years he expanded his domination on a national and global scale and quickly made himself an infamous figure in the public mind. Although he attempted to keep the growth of Standard Oil quiet, as the business grew his business strategies began attracting negative publicity. He lived with negative comments his entire life, even though I believe him to be a very generous person.
John Davison Rockefeller often used harsh and even unethical methods to succeed, often driving his competition out of business. His oil company, Standard Oil Trust, monopolized 90 percent of all oil business in the United States and extended its influence into other parts of the world. Small oil companies where nothing compared to Rockefeller’s monumental corporation.

In the city of Sherwood, in the county of Calumet, stands an old, historic Wisconsin mill. This mill, being close to a dense forest, was the perfect site to create wooden barrels. The barrels created at this mill were used by none other than John Davison Rockefeller to transport oil. Without this significant Wisconsin mill, Rockefeller may not have been able to transport his very profitable oil throughout the United States. So to speak, Rockefeller provided these valuable mill workers with employment.
John Davison Rockefeller had a very puritanical mother, who brought up her large family very strictly. John Davison Rockefeller, despite his enormous wealth, did not forget his Baptist upbringing. He regularly contributed to charity and created the Rockefeller Institute for Medical Research, the General Education Board, the Rockefeller Foundation, and the University of Chicago. It is clear that many of his contributions have changed lives for the better.
Overall, without the contributions of John Davison Rockefeller during the Turn of the Century, American society would not be the same as it is today. The Gilded Age would not have looked so golden. Oil companies would not be aware of extreme life-changing competition that changed many lives during the gilded age and the industrial revolution, and used many of his honorable and not-so-honorable personality traits to become a successful businessman He also wiped away oil competitors through a business monopoly, provided Wisconsin mill workers with employment, and was a very charitable person. I believe that John Davison Rockefeller’s many contributions will never be forgotten.