An Educating Experience | Teen Ink

An Educating Experience MAG

By Anonymous

   All right everyone, just imagine this! Six hours a week stacking books at everyone's favorite place, your LOCAL LIBRARY!!! Okay, now don't be jealous because you don't have this job, because, yes, this is what I do for community service. Well, maybe I should explain why I do this wonderful job or else you are going to think I am a nut case.

You see, for school I have to do 40 hours of community service for credit. I couldn't decide where I wanted to do this, so I put it into my mom's hands. Many of you may say that it was a bad idea, but now I look back and I'm happy that I did.

My dream is to be a television reporter, and where else better to catch up on the news, sports, medical issues, fashion, and everything else than your local library? My job is to stack the books in alphabetical and numerical order (unfortunately). It may sound pretty boring, but I find so many extremely interesting books that I never would have thought of picking up and reading before I started working there. Unfortunately, I never appreciated books with words until I had to deal with them on a day-to-day basis. This is when I discovered that the library has some pretty good reading hidden on those shelves.

By doing this job, I feel that I am working to better educate my fellow community, by keeping the books in perfect order on the shelves. Well, maybe not the whole community, but I am learning a lot for myself. So, all of you people who give librarians and librarian's helpers like me a hard time, just CUT IT OUT!!! Our job is hard enough already without you bugging us. But, PLEASE BE QUIET IN THE LIBRARY AT ALL TIMES, THANK YOU. fl