My Breaking Barrier | Teen Ink

My Breaking Barrier

May 28, 2013
By MMitchell BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
MMitchell BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

For my seventh grade year, I had to go to a new school. As most people have had the chance to know, going to a new school is always a tough situation. Getting to know new kids, learning from new teachers, getting used to a completely new lifestyle... But I got through it well.
With courage, I made sure not to let anything get me down. No matter how hard anything was for me, I had to just let it slip by me as if it were nothing. I bet that’s exactly how Jackie Robinson felt when he played and went into Major League Baseball. He had to let all of the insults and bad things slip by him until he was known as one of the biggest stars in all of baseball.
Jackie Robinson is my true role-model. I try not only to use his outstanding character traits, but try to use his skills for sports too. He is the the definition of courage to me. No matter how tough things got, he kept playing his hardest until he was a shoo-in in the game. Now he is the most well known player of all time.
I won’t let anything get me down. If I’m ever feeling out of it, I just have to think of Jackie Robinson, and how he never quit. The traits I’ve learned from Jackie Robinson have meant a lot to me, and has gotten me new friends at a new school. His impact has changed many peoples’ lives, including my own. I am thankful to him for everything he has given to me and to America.


The author's comments:
This was supposed to be an essay for a Breaking Barrier Contest showing the wonderful Character Traits of Jackie Robinson, and how his traits have helped us/me.