My obsession | Teen Ink

My obsession

By KRDiamond11 BRONZE, Miami, Florida
KRDiamond11 BRONZE, Miami, Florida

Life is divine chaos.Embrace it.Forgive yourself.Breathe.And enjoy the ride...

I don’t remember when it started but I do remember how. I was reading a book series and I was enjoying it very much. I didn’t even realize what I was starting. The love interest of the main character was Russian and that is what started my obsession. My greatest dream is to travel the world. I want to experience something new and meet new people. I don’t know where I’ll end up but I don’t really care and that surprises me. I want to see the Eiffel Tower and the pyramids of Giza. I want to see the churches in Russia and the hills in Ireland and Scotland. The beautiful beaches of the Caribbean and so many other things. If I could, I would go from one end of the world to the other and just keep seeing new things.

I want to experience the freezing Siberian winter and the excruciating heat of the Sahara. Some people would thing I’m crazy but when you have a passion for something, you can’t really stop it. It’s an obsession: Wanting to see everything you can in the limited time you are given on Earth. You want to experience everything, see everything, live everything and yet you know that you never will. You won’t ever be able to experience everything on Earth but you still dream and keep that hope alive. The flame inside you that propels you towards your goal will never be extinguished.

I want to know what it is like to live in another country. To immerse myself completely in a new culture and experience things I have never experienced before. I feel a need to experience first hand how other people live. The differences between cultures and the similarities. Most say that the cultures and religions of the world are too different to coexist and intertwine but how could they know if they have never experienced them? How could they judge if they have never lived those lives and experienced it themselves?

All I want is to experience the world itself. All of the people and cultures that make up the world, that is what I want to experience and imbed in my brain and memories. I want to gain knowledge of things beyond myself and my comfort zone. I want to achieve knowledge beyond any other. Knowledge that is not marred by other people’s perspective or bias.

Just think about it. A new town or city. A place where at some point in history a civilization was born or something never seen before was created. A place where things began and ended and where people of old times lived their lives. Imagine the feeling of standing by the ruins in Italy or in Greece. The feeling of knowing that something great has happened in that place. It must be overwhelming. Standing in such places likes the ruins of the ancient Roman Empire. Places that once held such great importance in everyday life.

Sometimes I can’t help but feel so small in a world where such greatness has thrived. So many things in this world are undervalued. I don’t want to be one of those people that also undervalue time. Yes, there is all the time in the world but how much of it will you use to your advantage? I don’t want to let time pass me by. You never know how much time you have on this Earth so use it wisely. I’m going to use my time to enrich my cultural understanding and my perception of the world. I want to travel and I don’t care how old I get, I will always pursue my dream, my obsession.

What is my obsession? To understand the things which are beyond me and to achieve a fraction of the accomplishments and knowledge of those civilizations that came before us. My only hope for this life is that I get to see most of the world and to at least try and understand it a little bit better.

"What moves those of genius, what inspires their work is not new ideas, but their obsession with the idea that what has already been said is still not enough.”
Eugene Delacroix