Baby, Think It Over This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

My name is Crystal and I have a son whose name is Dean, Jr. He was born February 3, 1997 at Hepburn Hospital in Ogdensburg, NY. I am a high school mother. This is my last year of high school. Most teenage girls think it would be great to be a mom. But it is not as easy as most think. Let me tell you how difficult it really is.I hardly ever have any free time. I have never been to a party. Because of my parental responsibility, I can't just decide to go somewhere, I have to get my son ready to go too. I can't go to the mall and just hang out. All the money I earn I have to put up for Dean. My favorite weekend thing is taking my son out for a fun day. This includes going out to eat at his favorite place - McDonald's.If my son is sick, I'm the one who stays home from school and takes him to the doctor. The school work I miss because of him, I have to make up. I hardly see my son during the week because of school. I am gone from 7 a.m. until 4 p.m. When I get home, I have to cook supper and do housework. I feed him, and then it is bath time. By the time that is done, I have only a few hours to get my homework done and play with him. It's hard to do anything with him; he hates it when I do my homework. He will pull my papers off the table or try to get in my lap. Before he goes to bed, we have family playtime, where Dean, Dean Jr. and I sit on the floor, playing. He loves to go outside and play.I have never been away from him for a long period of time, except school. I will be going on my senior trip to Chicago. It's only for five days. I hope to have fun. The whole time I'm gone, I know I will miss him. I will call home every night just to talk to him. My mother and Dean's parent's have been a great help. They take turns taking him so that I can have some time to myself. They even take him so I can get homework done. They all want me to graduate and encourage me to do better, so I can get a job or go to college. I always wanted to go to college in Florida. I wanted to be able to stay on campus in a dorm. I will not be able to do that now. If you are a teen and think it would be great to be a mom, think it over. Wait until you're out of school.