Endangered Species | Teen Ink

Endangered Species

By Bobcats2013 BRONZE, Waterford, Pennsylvania
Bobcats2013 BRONZE, Waterford, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it"

More and more animals will become threatened, endangered, and even extinct if people don’t do something about destruction of habitat the planet will lose more than the passenger pigeon. More and more animals will become threatened, endangered, and even extinct if people don’t do something about destruction through poaching or more animals will become endangered just like the American Crocodile. More and more animals will become threatened, endangered and even extinct if people don’t do something about invasive species and end up just like the Nene goose. People need to realize that something needs to be done about the destruction of habitat, the poaching of animals, and bringing invasive species to places they’re not supposed to be! If people keep continuing these actions, there won’t be as many unique and beautiful animals that they grew up with that the next generation will be able to grow up with and see like their ancestors were able to!!! More and more animals will become threatened, endangered, and even extinct if people don’t do something about destruction of habitat, poaching, and invasive species.

More and more animals will become threatened, endangered, and even extinct if people don’t do something about destruction of habitat from growing population, pollution and deforestation. Some people think that clearing land for malls and not even relocating the animals that are having their habitats destroyed is just fine! “Because of our growing populations we are clearing and building on land which destroys habitats” (“Road”). “Pollution from clearing and building on land also destroys habitats” (“Road”). For example the passenger pigeon became extinct because of destruction of habitat. “The forests where it lived were cut down to make way for farms and cities” (Herbert). People are mostly responsible for the destruction of habitat, but unfortunately humans also poach.

More and more animals will become threatened, endangered, and even extinct if people don’t do something about poaching from illegal hunting, fur trading, and harvesting body parts. Some people don’t care that animals are being killed for their valuables like fur and skins. As long as the poachers make the money off of the animals they don’t care about whether they are killing or selling endangered animals as exotic pets! “Illegal hunting and trading is another reason many species are extinct, endangered, or threatened” (“Road”). “Animals are killed for their valuable body parts such as skins, horns, and feathers or captured so they can be sold as exotic pets” (“Road”). “In the past American Crocodiles were killed so their skins could be made into shoes and other clothing. This crocodile is now endangered” (Herbert)! Humans are responsible for the damage from poaching, but invasive species threaten some animals.

More and more animals will become threatened, endangered, and even extinct if people don’t do something about invasive species introduced into environments they don’t belong in, smuggled illegally, or accidentally introduced. Some people are not thinking about what could happen to an eco-system when a foreign animal is brought to live in a place it doesn’t belong! “Sometimes a species becomes endangered because another species is introduced into a place it doesn’t naturally live” (Herbert). “Smuggling animals is big business! In 1996 more than $10,000,000,000 in plants and animals was traded illegally worldwide” (Herbert). “At one time, ships sailing to Hawaiian Islands brought rats with them. Once there, the rats became predators of area birds. So mongooses were imported to control the rats, but they preyed on birds. That’s how the Nene goose nearly became extinct” (“Road”). Invasive species don’t even seem to bother some people who don’t realize that more and more animals will become threatened.

More and more animals will become threatened, endangered and even extinct if people don’t do something about destruction of habitat, poaching, and invasive species. If people think that clearing land for malls and not even relocating the animals that are having their habitats destroyed is just fine then more animals will become extinct! If people don’t care that animals are being killed for their valuables like fur and skins more animals will become endangered. As long as the poachers make the money off of the animals they don’t care about whether they are killing or selling endangered animals as exotic pets, then the people who buy them are just as guilty as the poachers! If people are not thinking about what could happen to an eco-system when a foreign animal is brought to live in a place it doesn’t belong, more eco-system will be destroyed and more animals will become threatened! An animal becoming extinct is like a mother losing her own child! Protect animals now, before it’s too late.
Works Cited
Hebert, H. Josef. "Endangered Species Act: Debate Rages 25 Years Later." Wisconsin State
Journal (Madison, WI). Jan. 3 1999: 1B+. SIRS Discoverer. Web. 18 Sep 2012.
"Road to Recovery." Trailblazer. Sept. 2001: 4+. SIRS Discoverer. Web. 18 Sep 2012..

What inspired me to take this position and write this piece is to persuade you as the reader why we all should stop the three main things that are causing animals to become threatened, endangered, and finally extinct.