Nice Boy Mr. Curwick | Teen Ink

Nice Boy Mr. Curwick

By heyguy SILVER, Lisbon, Wisconsin
heyguy SILVER, Lisbon, Wisconsin

Twitter Takeover
Eighteen year old Kevin Curwick is now using an account from Twitter (@OsseoNiceThings) to compliment his classmates.
Curwick says, “There were some nasty Twitter pages coming out, saying negative things about people at my school. I decided to fight back on Twitter. So I created a nice page to help the kids who were being attacked and other kids who I thought could use a boost in confidence or just something to make their day.”
According to www.DoSomething.org, “Fifty six percent of students have personally felt some sort of bullying at school. Between fourth and eighth grade in particular, Ninety percent of student are victims of bullying.”
Curwick says that if you wanted to give a compliment to a friend or someone you know, all you have to do is send him a message about who the person is and what you want him to explain.
Curwick says, “Using social media to compliment people has really made cyber bullying un cool. It takes the power and attention away from bullies. When I send out nice tweets, people re-tweet and ‘favorite’ them four times as much as the negative ones.”
Humans are naturally going to react on how other people react to a certain thing. So that shows how what he is doing is good by the responses he could get.
When dealing with people and bad responses Curwick says, “Don’t respond. Instead, focus on your positive qualities. Find people who will support you and love you.”
Finally Curwick says, “Random acts of kindness work well on the Internet. So instead of looking through peoples pictures to tear them down, see it in a different way. Compliment them. And if you don’t have anything nice to say, just don’t say anything at all.”