Way of Life | Teen Ink

Way of Life

November 26, 2012
By heyguy SILVER, Lisbon, Wisconsin
heyguy SILVER, Lisbon, Wisconsin
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Meg, a junior in high school packing Operation Christmas Child boxes. Meg is doing eight voluntary activities throughout the year and is also in four sports.

Meg has been doing charity work for ten years and with a lot of family support.

“My family has been with me since the first time I started charity work, from driving me to the places I need to go and also being there for me whenever I needed there help.” Said Meg.

When doing such things like charity, many things can go wrong, but when having a family there it will change the outcome of how things turn out.

Meg says,” My family is always there willing to help whenever there is a problem or just to be there in general.”

When doing things outside of school like charity there are many things that could go wrong, it is time consuming and can cause loss of sleep. Meg says, ‘There is nothing bad I can think of.”

The common thing for any high school student is to get good grades to go to a great college, but when doing that it requires a lot of work in order to get a good scholarship.

Meg says, “For striving for excellence I shoot for a 3.875 and I am constantly doing homework in my free time along with sports and extra activities.”

Sense she is working hard with her grades, her charity work can become harder for a student that has a 3.8 GPA.

Meg says, “Doing charity takes up time of mine, but I don’t mind because I enjoy helping others and it doesn’t feel like it’s taking up time.”
The amount of charity work Meg is doing is tremendous! She is involved in all sorts of things such as cleaning up the high way, bowling with special needs, Down syndrome walk, breast cancer walk, trick or treating with little kids, Easter egg hunt with little kids, and bingo at nursing homes.

She has been involved in many other activities but just being involved in activities at all can have a major impact on the community and others that are involved.

Tim says, “ Being involved in this many activities is tremendous, the amount of work that goes in to going to school and play sports is hard from a personal view, but being involved and helping the community the way she is, is great!”

“I think many people participate in charity because they let students get involved and encourage them to strive for excellence,” says senior Livi.

Meg has been doing just that when play multiple sports such as cross country, lacrosse, and gymnastics. When playing sports it requires athletic abilities, and a hardworking person to succeed. It takes a lot of practice, but when practice is over you have school work to worry about too.

When averaging a 3.8 GPA, it clearly points out she has been working hard. The charity work affects a lot of people, it encourages more and more people to get out and help people no matter if you think you have enough time or not.