Procrastination | Teen Ink

Procrastination

By Parks Flowers BRONZE, Collierville, Tennessee
Parks Flowers BRONZE, Collierville, Tennessee

I am currently writing this essay because I waited until the last minute to do an assignment that my teacher has told us about for the past nine weeks. I am the world’s greatest procrastinator. I can put things off until the last moment and end up getting them done with no problem… until tonight. Last night I got about three hours of sleep because one of my best friends and I stayed up talking about girls because I did not want to go to sleep. I have realized that when having to do an English essay it is best to get the most sleep I can before writing it. Right now I am having to type and retype words multiple times because I can not seem to type correctly. It is like my fingers are made of some sort of jello and are flapping around the keyboard because they are, like the rest of my body, utterly exhausted from the lack of proper rest needed. But I am indeed the world’s greatest procrastinator so I will get this done, no matter how long it takes me. Every one else in my class said that this should be an easy project and that I would be able to get it done in about an hour, but no not me. I can not just sit and type in front of a computer screen about something that matters and try to make sense out of words that do not make any sense to me. I really wish that I could have written on a topic that could have impacted people in some way, maybe even spurred people to action in some way. Maybe even made people want to change the world. But no not me, because I am the world’s greatest procrastinator I also have some of the world’s most deserved grades. And I do not mean that I get A’s and B’s because I get my work done, I mean I get C’s and D’s on important projects because I do them at the last minute and do not put my greatest effort into my work. My work could possibly be outstanding if I would actually take the time to sit down and do it, but no. The world’s greatest procrastinator has other things to do with his life like sleeping, playing Xbox, or anything else that does not involve school work. I am the king at finding excuses to keep from doing my homework or anything I do not want to do. The best one is “I feel sick, I think I am just going to go to sleep. “ Parents buy that one every time. Oh, but not this time. Not the time when I am sleep deprived and fighting a nasty cold. Then, they make me stay up and torture me by making me write as though my life depended on it! So I have learned a lesson through this entire experience. Do not procrastinate. Procrastination brings all sorts of needless punishments that could have been avoided had the work just gotten completed. I urge everyone to try and steer clear of the crown of world’s best procrastinator because that crown is actually a dunce hat. Under that dunce hat is a lazy person who just does enough to get by.