The New Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Don’t worry. Lots of kids have moved here and made new friends in the blink of an eye,” my new teacher tells me. “Oh, and don’t be concerned about your braces. Most everyone has them here.”

Great. Even my new teacher thinks I’m a nerd, and he hasn’t even known me for five minutes. If my teacher thinks that, I can’t imagine what the rest of the class is going to think.

I wonder what kind of speech he gave them about me, “The New Girl.” He probably made it sound like I’m some kind of freak with weird allergies whose dad just died and everyone should be nice to me.

I wish I was back with my friends at my other school, where everyone knew me and I was the one hearing the new-kid speeches.

The bell rings, and the class piles in. Maybe if I don’t move, they won’t see me. Oh, well, it was a nice try. Everyone stares like I’m some kind of alien.

This weird girl walks in and says, “Hi, my name is Alicia.”

“Um, I’m Annie,” I say.

She makes a really weird face and says, “Hi, Annie. You can sit with us at lunch today if you want.”

What a dork …

Maybe this new school won’t be so bad after all.

TrishHastings said...
It's not that bad, but the negativity kills me. Try writting something more positive. Even a second part to this article might be good...

McDevitt said...
Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:17 pm:
When i saw this story i see my brother in this child's shoes. I see him comeing back from school in tears because evrybody thought he talked funny or he looked stupid. I felt so sorry for him. Then i had a talk to him and hehad a new attitude about life. He said so what if you dont like me you dont have any impact on my life. This is what i see here in this story a chid who has braces and is afaid to show people the real person they are. So i say dont be afraid just be yourself.

destiny18 said...
Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:19 pm:
I think just by reading this. never be negative. You might feel weird being in a new school, but that doesnt mean no one likes you, or thinks you are a freak. Try talking with people and introducing yourself to them. You can't always have someone come up to you, you make the first step in a new school.

destiny18 said...
Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:14 pm:
I think just by reading this, never think negative.

Pure_Serendipity said...
I don't like this. It's way too stereotypical. It honestly offends me. Many people reading this are those people who do have a dead dad, or have allergies, or are called the weird kid. You are saying that you don't want to be picked on when that is all you are doing in this peice of writing, you are picking on others. 

write_to_express16 replied...
May 16, 2013 at 3:59 pm :
I completely agree with you, Infact I was offended while reading this. The one girl who came up to you and was friendly, you call weird. Would you rather everyone ignore you? But anyways, I completely agree that this piece is offensive in many ways. 

delilah_manhatten replied...
Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:13 pm :
I don't think this article is stereotypical. I think it shows how terrible seterotypes are and how we should'nt follow them. By calling  Alicia whose trying to be friendly, "the weird girl", the main charater, looks like a jerk, not Alicia, therefore the sterotype in this piece insults the main charater. Also, sterotypes are abundant in high school, and through their sterotype the writer expresses real life. Remember this is a personal narritive form only the main charater... (more »)

DifferentTeen said...
Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:42 pm:
I don't know, I didn't find it all that striking.. I reread it to make sure I wasn't missing anything but I still wasn't amazed. I feel like it was just a little too stereotypical for my personal liking. I did like the part where you said the teacher made her sound like some kind of freak, which has weird allergies, whose dad just died so everyone should be nice to her. That was a unique sentence; I smiled when I read it. But most of the other lines, I just felt like I'd read... (more »)

HeartBreaker2010 said...
Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:16 pm:
There should have been more to the story. It got intresting but then you stopped.

Makya A. said...
Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:50 am:
this person she calls a dork happens to be a person she could call her friend not many kids will do what that girl did g

amrex13 said...
I like how it was simplistic, but had great content. It's easy to relate to and is well written for all readers. It's great

Aduke9 said...
Jun. 29, 2012 at 1:18 pm:
I can totally identify with this: I've moved 4 times so far and am moving again in August. I've never made a friend as fast as you did in this story. I loved your story though.

Joele15 said...
Jun. 29, 2012 at 3:51 am:

I loathe being the new girl I changed at least 8 schools in the past 6 years and i get new friends and as soon as i get comfortable i go to a new one.

Anyways your story is awesome.

Denniser83 replied...
Oct. 17, 2012 at 2:43 pm :
I have also. Its so awkward..

lou205 said...
Jun. 7, 2012 at 1:42 pm:
it is nice, but still too short! you need to work a bit on your skills.

Katniss Everdeen said...
May 16, 2012 at 8:49 am:
This was great! Loved the ending!

Bandana56 said...
that was good, short and good, you captured what going into a new school really feels like.

Funsized2014 said...
this is how i feel today.. being my frist day at a new school

LifesIllusion said...
I really enjoyed this piece. I think most people, girls and boys alike, can relate to this story in some way. GREAT WORK! :) keep writing.

AJFruitninja said...
I completely agree. I let people comment on my work and give me ideas on how to improve it. But you coming out and being so quick to decisions is certainly not the way a Teenink member should act. Please show some respect. I find this piece intriguing and wonderful. Please, if you have bad things to say, don't say anything at all. 

Warning: Unknown: open(/var/lib/php5/sess_2bv2kbhug5p2mg3jgq2okoe3c4, O_RDWR) failed: No space left on device (28) in Unknown on line 0 Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/lib/php5) in Unknown on line 0