Patience is a Virtue | Teen Ink

Patience is a Virtue

March 26, 2012
By Tyler Troppman BRONZE, Grove, Oklahoma
Tyler Troppman BRONZE, Grove, Oklahoma
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It has been three years. No more secrets. Finally, no more worries. The truth is in the open, and now I wait for her response. Time seems to have nearly stopped as I continue to patiently wait. Three class periods drag by before she acknowledges my existence for the second time today. It’s only a brief smile, but it caught my eye. Her friends giggle as I pass her in the hall. I know my answer, but she has to say it. Not in front of anyone. Just to me.
*
*
*

In the three weeks prior to getting the news, he started talking to me. Kelsey had always tried to convince me that he had a major crush on me, but I never took her seriously. He didn’t seem interested as far as I was concerned. After a week we were talking every night. After two he started walking me to all of my classes and sitting with me during lunch. Then he asked me that question every girl thinks about when they start to fall for a guy.
*
*
*

The way she replied wasn’t in the conventional manor a person would answer such a question. Lunch had finally rolled around, and I had been sitting with her and some friends. She didn’t say much. I didn’t either. We were both too nervous. I walked Carli to her fifth hour class when lunch was over. Half way there we stopped at her locker. With her books in her right hand and my hand in her left, I had finally received my answer.
*
*
*

The days that followed were wonderful. My friends were happy with my decision, and my parents seemed to really like him. My sister told me that Tyler was definitely a keeper. We still talk every night, walk each other to class, eat lunch with good friends, an neither of us has any worries.

Finding the right words to express how you feel about a special someone can be like finding needles in a haystack. Sure it is going to take a while, but once a person finds them, they realize something: It was worth every bit of time spent searching.

The author's comments:
I am 17 years old. I play varsity soccer, and I am the drum major for the high school band. My girlfriend inspired me to write this piece after having a long conversation about our relationship. I hope that it inspires others to tell someone how they truly feel.