How-To: Shoe Tying 101

First, pick up your shoe. You may need to loosen the laces, which are the thin strips or round bands of material that crisscross at the top of the shoe through holes called eyelets. maneuver your toe in, pointing it towards the pointier end of the shoe (the toe of the shoe). Grasp the heel of the shoe and manipulate your foot until it feels snug and secure. Pull the tongue of the shoe (the flap of material found underneath the laces) and pull so that is lies flat above your foot. If your foot feels strangely uncomfortable, check which direction you have inserted it in. If your toes feel cramped or will not fit, it may be because you have positioned your foot toward the heel of the shoe, which is incorrect.

Next, pull each crossing of the laces until they are all snug and comfortable. When this is complete, grasp the free ends of each shoelace and cross them over each other to form an ‘x’ figure. There are several techniques for the steps that follow, so here is one of the most common of them.

Wrap the top lace of the ‘x’ you have formed around the other lace, and loop it through the bottom of the ‘x.’ Pull tight. Next, take one of the laces, and wrap it around the thumb opposite it until you have made a loop out of the lace. Pinch the base of this loop with the thumb and forefinger of the hand one whose side the loop is. Then wrap the other lace around the base of the loop, holding both with the thumb and two first fingers of the hand opposite the loop. Use the loop-side thumb to push the other lace through the ‘x’ created by the crossing of the loop and the lace, then pull the lace through, creating a second loop. If there is only one loop, you may have pulled the second lace too far, pulling it all the way out the other side. This is, again, incorrect.

Congratulations! If you now have two loops like rabbit ears, tied together in the middle, on top of your shoe, you have successfully tied your shoes! To double-knot them, cross the two loops, and pull one through the other, as with the loop and lace, and the two laces in the initial tying.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

ramfthomas4This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 4:41 pm:
Using these simple instructions I taught my dog to tie her own shoes in just five minutes.  Thank you, Pumpkinscout!