The Difficultly in Finding an Original and Inwardly-Fulfilling Essay Topic | Teen Ink

The Difficultly in Finding an Original and Inwardly-Fulfilling Essay Topic

September 22, 2011
By Charle5 GOLD, West Windsor, New Jersey
Charle5 GOLD, West Windsor, New Jersey
11 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work." -Aritsotle


There are few times you cannot find an answer via Google. Google has been the lifesaver of students, philosophers, rocket scientists and even teachers. For the kid who only cares about the “A” showing up for every class on Infinite Campus, “good essay topic” is a very effective search. However, that search will not satisfy certain students. It will not satisfy the students who will put their heart into an essay and want to be at least a tiny bit interested in what they are writing about. For the students who are not satisfied by one simple Google search, they set themselves on a journey. A journey to find an original and inwardly-fulfilling essay topic. Alas, that is not a painless or simple task. That is why this essay has been written: To show the difficultly in finding an original and inwardly-fulfilling essay topic.

To have an original topic, “original” must be defined. In this case, it means a topic that has not been explored though an essay. Overused topics are usually boring. Some examples include “Why Smoking is Bad” and “How to Succeed in School.” With that said, think about an original essay topic. It is unoriginal. Think of another original topic. It is unoriginal. Almost everything is unoriginal. “School Uniforms are Foolish,” “Why Boys are Better than Girls” and “The Chronicles of Post-it Human and Paper Cat” are all unoriginal. With great patience and motivation, it is possible to find almost any essay topic. Think of another original essay topic. Once again, it is unoriginal and has been written before by someone, somewhere.

Inwardly-fulfilling can mean different things to different people. For argument’s sake, suppose I define inwardly-fulfilling as funny, witty and intellectual. However, the following works with any definition of inwardly-fulfilling. For people who have high standards (such as the writer of this essay) it is tough to choose a topic. For example, “Why Smoking is Bad” can be an intellectual essay, but it would be challenging to make it funny and witty. “The Chronicles of Post-it Human and Paper Cat” may be a funny and witty essay, but it would be challenging to make it intellectual, being such a silly topic. Inwardly-fulfilling can be a hard feeling to accomplish.

In conclusion, the difficultly in finding an original and inwardly-fulfilling essay topic is harder than imagined. Heck, even this essay isn’t original. Nonetheless, it was inwardly-fulfilling. That is nothing to complain about.


The author's comments:
My name is Charles and I hope you enjoy this short essay. Please comment :)