Does My Generation Have a Role in America's Future? | Teen Ink

Does My Generation Have a Role in America's Future?

By RandomInspiration GOLD, Schulenburg, Texas
RandomInspiration GOLD, Schulenburg, Texas

Laugh as much as you breathe, and love as long as you live <3

The United States of America has been built upon the shoulders of men and women who contribute their talents and ideas to strengthening and preserving the honor and power of this country.

It has been reshaped by each successive generation to accommodate the technological, moral, and scientific advancements of the time. Our nation continues to grow because we never fail to outdo our predecessors, and my generation will not be the exception.

The entire lives of those in my generation have been focused on preparing ourselves for what lies ahead. We are taught the basics of life by our family, benefit from our mistakes and experiences, and further our education in school and college, all before the age of twenty-five. With hopefully enough knowledge and common sense to be successful in all we do, we will feel our way into the future and undoubtedly leave our mark as we go. We may not be ready for the world, but the world is ready for us.

Every imaginable aspect of society is in a constant phase of transition from age to youth. Timeworn, experienced veterans pass torches along to their eager young counterparts, because somebody has to fill the shoes of the elite athletes, groundbreaking scientists, and military heroes we know today. Therefore, we have an unwritten obligation to amount to our full potential and leave the next generation wanting to exceed theirs.

The uncertainty of the future is overwhelming, but I know with unwavering confidence that my generation will lead America into brighter days. We have seen first hand the effects of violence, sickness, poverty, and drugs that seem to define the twenty-first century, and for many, this has solidified our conviction to change the world. Not individually, but together, as one truly United States of America, we could conceivably create the better tomorrow that millions have dreamed of.

The future is now. And now. And now. And every other second we have before us. Every action, every failure to act, every chance we take or let slip by, becomes an indelible part of us, of who we are. The choices of the young, ambitious, hopeful teenagers of today are determining who will be the teachers, doctors, or five-star generals of a fast-approaching tomorrow. Not only do we have a role in America’s future – we are the future.