Sarah Dessen | Teen Ink

Sarah Dessen

May 10, 2011
By Aya Saneh BRONZE, Beirut, Iowa
Aya Saneh BRONZE, Beirut, Iowa
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Who’s your favorite author? That’s a really easy question to answer for me: My favorite author is Sarah Dessen. I just realized though, that I don’t know as much about her as I’d like to. So this essay should be about her, because it’s important not only for you to learn about her, but I should learn something too. So, in this essay, you will learn about her personal life, my favorite books she has written, and something I have noticed about her. I hope you read one of her books. It’s worth a try.
I will start with her personal life, as it must be some sort of inspiration for her. Sarah Dessen grew up in North Carolina. She went to college at the University of North Carolina, where she took a degree in Creative Writing. She still lives in North Carolina with her daughter, husband and dog.
Secondly, my three favorite books that she has written are Just Listen, Dreamland and Keeping the Moon which I haven’t read up until a few days ago. All three are the kind of books that are so great, and they stick in your head. Just Listen was about having a relationship with music. Dreamland was about abusive relationships. Keeping the Moon was about friendship and insecurity. I love these books because you can relate to them and enjoy reading them.
And finally, I have read many of her books, and all through it I felt that there was a little bit of a similarity between her characters. They aren’t very confident. Their friends are cooler than they are. She said that she bases her characters on her teen self. I don’t mind it, but some people would. The important thing to me is that each book has a different plot than the last. The books don’t blend together in your mind, so it isn’t much of an issue, just an interesting fact.
I have learned so much about her, and I hope that you did too. She has a happy personal life, a few amazing books, and a quirk that I find interesting. I really do recommend her books to anyone, as they are easy to relate to and fun to read. And if you end up not liking her books the way I do, at least you’ll have something to read for English class.

The author's comments:
This was for English Class but I decided to put it on here too.