Todd and Jed | Teen Ink

Todd and Jed

January 25, 2011
By Writing4Pub DIAMOND, Colts Neck, New Jersey
Writing4Pub DIAMOND, Colts Neck, New Jersey
68 articles 16 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
Always desire to learn something useful.
Sophocles


There were two children, Todd and Jed. They were playing with their animal crackers when one of them cracked. “This is an outrage!” said Todd.

“I completely agree with you. This is one of the worst things that have ever happened in my life. I was looking forward to playing with my giraffe shaped cracker but I guess I can’t. I’ll just eat a tiger shaped instead.”

“Mommy, can you please go to the store. We ran out of all of the animal crackers because my fat friend ate all of them.” Todd said to his mother.

“I was going to go to the store anyway. We also ran out of cheese and…”

“Did you really just call me fat? Do you know how bad I can beat you up and make you cry. I’m ten times bigger than you.”

“You’re ten times fatter if that’s what you are trying to say.”

“I’m out of here before I accidentally crush you with all of my fat. And I’m taking Josh with me.” Jed yelled at Todd on his way out the door with the leash of his dog.

Todd just sat there and cried. They were supposed to be best friends forever but now that was all gone. Todd had the idea of sharing their new dog, Josh, but now the idea sounded so crazy. Todd was going to miss Josh but he was going to miss Jed a lot more. Where would Todd hang out on the weekends? How would he get to school? Jed’s Mom drove him to and home from school every day. They hung out every day after school since they were in pre-school. Todd felt really bad for his terrible deed. Life will not be the same now that these two best friends aren’t best friends any more.


A few weeks have passed and Todd and Jed still haven’t talked to each other. Jed has been hanging out with a new friend named Tony. Jed was Todd’s only friend. For now Todd is ridin’ solo.

Finally Todd was sick of all of this ignoring from Jed. He went to his house after school and knocked on his door. He waited for him to answer for about thirty seconds. Todd rang the bell again and finally Jed answered the door with a smile on his face.

“What the heck are you smiling about? You just lost your best friend.” Todd said as Jed stood there with a complicated smile on his face.

“I’m just happy to have such a great friend that loves and respects me. I don’t know where I’d be in life without him.” Jed said with a bigger smile than before. Todd replied,

“Do you really mean that Jed?”

“’Course I do. I’m not the kind of person that lies about stuff like this.” Jed said as the boy he was talking about came from behind him and gave him a big hug. “How great is this kid. He is the best thing that has ever happened to me.” Then Jed turned around and kissed him on the lips. This was the moment when Jed realized that it was finally over. Things would never be the same again.

“So you were talking about Tony the whole time?”

“Yes. He is kind of my boyfriend. I have never met someone as special as him. He gets everything that I say and we get along better than you and I did.” Todd walked away from the house and cried. This would be the last time that Todd and Jed would ever talk to each other again, at least that’s what Todd thought.

The rest of the seventh grade was pure torture for the both of them. Todd had no other friends that he could hang out with and Jed was feeling guilty about the whole situation. He realizes that he still loves Todd very much but doesn’t know if Todd feels the same way. Sometimes Todd thought about life and what it really means to him without Jed in his life. Todd stopped studying for school and before he knew it he was failing out of the grade and in danger of having to repeat the seventh grade.




*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*




Todd’s alarm clock went off and he lay in his bed for a half hour extra. He looked on his table and picked up the
card he had been waiting to open all night. It read, “Happy 27th Birthday Todd! We are always thinking about you. Have a great one. Love, Mom and Dad xoxo. Todd sat up in his bed and looked around his small apartment.

“What am I doing with my life?” Todd and ran punched the wall. A big hole in his white wall explained his whole life. He had so much to live for but then it suddenly disappeared right after he called Jed fat. He thinks about it and gets that strange feeling in his stomach. Todd took a shower and got ready for work.

Todd threw each paper out of the window one at a time. He suddenly received a call from a strange number. The area code wasn’t even the same as his. He picked up the phone. “Hello?”

“Todd?”

“Yes. Who is this?”

“Just some fat kid.”

“Jed, oh my god! How are you?”

“I’m pretty good. How about you?”

“I’m doin’ pretty good. How did you get my number?”

“Don’t worry about that. Tony and I were talking and he brought up your name.”

“I’m sorry but I don’t think that I can ever talk to you again.”
Jed stood up and went to work.