Do Questions Annoy You? | Teen Ink

Do Questions Annoy You? MAG

By RejectedBo BRONZE, Revere, Massachusetts
RejectedBo BRONZE, Revere, Massachusetts

Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.
-J. D. Salinger

What is your name? When is your birthday? Where do you live? Who are your friends? What do they like to do? Do you like to go to parties? What is your favorite type of music? What do you like to eat? Do you like sushi? Would you ever eat fried ice cream? Do you have any food allergies? Do you like Caesar salad? Do you know how to cook? Have you ever made scrambled eggs? Do you like them with cheese? Have you ever eaten raw eggs? Have you ever touched a live chicken? Do you like fried chicken? Do you know who Leeroy Jenkins is? Have you ever played “World of Warcraft”?

The one thing about people that I really hate is when they ask questions. I tend to consider myself an independent person, and I enjoy keeping to myself. Perhaps it is too much to expect the same of the general public. Every person has a right to their personal business without the prying of others' curiosity.

Annoying questions are usually irrelevant to the task at hand. If there was a bit of information that needed to be shared, I would offer it instead of having to be prodded for it. This is a major reason why some people prefer to be antisocial.

If someone asks you a question and someone else is there too, not only are you now obligated to answer, you also have a larger audience. A larger audience means more room for misinterpretation. A larger audience means you have to explain yourself twice as much. Explaining yourself can be difficult on the spot, and doing so may be irritating and dangerous.

Do you still live with your parents? Did your parents love you? Do you have any siblings? Did your mom love your brother more than you? Did it bother you when he got a remote-control car and a computer for Christmas and you only got a stuffed bear? Did you secretly hate him for years and put soap on his toothbrush? Did you ever steal his dinosaurs, his Hot Wheels, his left sock, his favorite Batman watch, eat his yogurt, scratch his Mario Party Wii game disc, or stick your fingers in his mouth while your hands were covered in hot sauce? Have you apologized for the mean things you did to your beloved sibling? Do you think that you're still a terrible person? How selfish do you think you are? What did your brother ever do to you? How long do you hold a grudge? Will you ever grow up? What makes you most angry about your past?

Another thing I hate is when people ask me to make decisions on the spot. This tends to happen when I'm in a car with someone without any plans. The driver will look at me and ask, “Where would you like to go?” This is frustrating because I never know where to go. So my usual response is, “I don't know.” Typically, the driver is unhappy with this and usually replies, “Come on – just pick somewhere.” This is the point where I cover my face and stop talking. It's unfair to make me decide where to go; I'm not the one behind the wheel.

Or for another example, when I'm eating out, the menu could be sitting in front of me for ten minutes and you'd be lucky to get my drink order. I like to blame this struggle on the openness of my mind. I refuse to make decisions without fully thinking things through. So it's just easier to have someone make simple decisions for me. The simple things in life get complicated when they are overanalyzed.

Do you feel like your father was never there for you? Did you wish he was a different man? Are you jealous of your friends when their fathers help them with car trouble? Do you ever wonder why you got stuck with a useless parent? What was your mother thinking? Do you blame your father for your faults? Will you ever forgive him for not being who you wanted him to be? Will you forgive him for aging? Will you forgive him for having epilepsy, high blood pressure, Alzheimer's, and not speaking perfect English? Will you forgive him for everything he didn't do in your life? Will you thank him for everything he did? Did you thank him for buying you your favorite bicycle on your birthday? Did you thank him for changing your diapers when you were a baby, losing sleep over you because you wouldn't stop crying, or pushing you on the swings? Do you know your father's favorite color? Do you know your mother's? Does it make you sad to think that you know someone with a different last name better than those you lived with for the first 15 years of your life?

What is your favorite movie? Do you like popcorn? Have you ever tried edamame? How do you feel about too many questions? How do you feel about too many serious questions? Does it bother you when people ask personal questions? How many people have made you uncomfortable by asking you too many questions? What do you like to eat at restaurants? Do you have trouble deciding what to order at an ice cream parlor? Which flavor would you like? Which size? Do you want sprinkles? Gummy Bears, Oreos, M&Ms, chocolate syrup, Jimmies, cherry dip, or whipped cream? Do you really care that much about your damn ice cream?

maki_rain BRONZE, Rocklin, California

A hero is not a man more courageous than others, but a man courageous for a little while longer.

I liked this. Well written. Good point. Honestly though, the worst questions are the ones you don't have an answer to and everyone expects you to anyway.

PaRaNoRmAl627 GOLD, Mountainside, New Jersey

"Do what you want. If it's something you'll regret in the morning, sleep late."

That was so clever, and so honest. And I can't agree more.