So What? | Teen Ink

So What?

By The_Girl_Next_Door PLATINUM, Elkins, Arkansas
The_Girl_Next_Door PLATINUM, Elkins, Arkansas

~*The mind has but a thousand eyes, and the heart is left with one...Yet the light of a whole life dies the moment love is done.*~

Prep.
Emo.
Goth.
Geek.
Freak.

Seriously? I can't believe people listen to that stuff.
You can't judge someone on what they like or what they wear...Or even who they hang out with.
I don't listen to it.
I don't get why someone is a 'Prep' because they dress in pink...
I don't get why someone is 'Goth' because they wear black.
I don't get why someone is 'Emo' because they cut they're wrists.
It's not right.
It makes me so confused.
If someone cutes themselves, it doesn't mean automatically that they are 'Emo'.
So maybe they have issues at home. Or mabye they've got a lot going on...Maybe their stress level is higher than others. So what? Doesn't mean they're going to do it they're WHOLE lives... Sometimes they just need a friend... But the labels seperate them and it isn't right for them to be alone.

If a person doesn't believe in God...It doesn't mean they're 'Goth'. It means that they might be confused about religion. Confused as to why things happen the way they do. So what? It doesn't say a single thing about they're personality. They could be super nice or they could be extremely mean, hot-headed, and short-tempered. But you don't know anything about them because of those stupid labels. You don't hang out with them because they don't 'fit in'.

Someone shouldn't be counted as a 'Prep' because they like the color pink. So what? Maybe they are happy with that color. Maybe they listen to pop music because it makes them feel comfortable with who they are. Just because someone is a cheerleader...Doesn't automatically mean they are rude and egotistic. They could be the nicest person you'll ever meet! But you don't take the time to notice that because all you see when you look at the way they dress is "They're mean...I don't wanna talk to her." No. You don't know anything about them. Again, Who's fault? It's all in the labels.

I have a friend who's on the chess team. So what? Does that mean he's a geek? Well I don't think so. So what if he doesn't dress like everyone else does. Maybe he just can't afford the clothes we've got. That ever cross your mind? No. I don't think so. Wanna know why? It's those stupid labels again.

Just look at all these titles can bring. Nothing but hatred towards someone who doesn't deserve it. They can't control what they like. It's not like they can just change over night.

Take me for example. I love writing and I spend much time doing it. I sit alone at lunch sometimes because I want to work. And sometimes I sit alone at lunch because no one talks to me. So what? I'm not gunna change.... I enjoy who I am and Idon't need labels tell me who I am. I can describe myself, no sweat.

I am smart, talented, beautiful, and I share interests others find wierd...So WHAT?

Think about it. It's just as bad as calling someone stupid...How would you like it?

I feel like people label others before they need to. Just something I think I needed to get off my chest...I'd love to be known for who i am and not for my label.

on Jul. 27 2010 at 4:51 pm
TechieForLife GOLD, West St. Paul, Minnesota

Live each day like it is the day you will be remembered.

Wow. WOW. That was really good. I really like the desciptions. :) Just because I wear black and don't like pop music dosent mean I'm emo or goth. It's just what I like. :)