Lessons In Life | Teen Ink

Lessons In Life MAG

Life. Sometimes it can seem so simple, like I am still a small child without a care in the world. But, in truth, it's far from simple. It can, at times, be difficult. At others, it can be the most wonderful thing there is. But no matter what happens, life is always incredibly valuable. I learned the hard way.

On May 1, 1991, my life changed forever. I was in a serious car accident. I almost died.

I was with a friend who was driving at three times the 20 m.p.h speed limit. He said he was in complete control.

The next thing I remember was being covered in blood. I wondered why I was bleeding. I was in shock. I had no idea what had happened.

It took the firemen a little over an hour to cut through the twisted piece of metal that imprisoned me. Then I saw a fireman. He asked me who I was and some other questions to determine whether I suffered any memory loss. I asked what had happened. He said I had been in a bad accident: we'd hit a tree going 60 m.p.h.

After several failed attempts, they pulled me out of the car. That was when I first felt the pain. They put me in a helicopter and flew me to a nearby hospital.

In the emergency room, after countless tests and x-rays, I was told that I had a broken my right femur and my nose. I would need surgery for both.

The pain at times was unbearable. My recovery was extremely difficult and stressful. I was in the hospital for two weeks, and every day held a new challenge, from being able to move my toes to my final challenge before I could go home: to walk halfway down the hall and up and down a flight of stairs on crutches. It was the hardest thing I ever did, but I was determined to succeed.

I not only suffered physical pain, but also great emotional trauma. It was hard to be happy, but somehow I managed. My friends and family helped me out a lot by always being there for me.

It has been six months since the accident, and I have not completely recovered. All of this makes me realize several things: the value of love and friendship, the meaning of luck, but most of all, the fact that life is special. You only get one chance, and you should make the most of it. n

i love this !