Antigone Lines 1-115 | Teen Ink

Antigone Lines 1-115

Ismene,

I absolutely CAN-NOT believe what is happening in the world! The Commander announced on TV that there is a new law where enemies of Thebes will not be buried. So the enemies (which btw include Polynices) aren’t going to be buried and given a ceremony! >:-(. Polynices is going to be left someplace where the birds and dogs can eat him until there’s nothing left. Seriously, I can’t believe what is going on!! 8-O. Creon is gonna give Eteocles a full ceremony and everything while he won’t let anybody bury or even be sad for Polynices! If anyone disobeys the law, they will be killed.

I know what the consequences are, but I’m still going to bury Polynices’ body like what should be done! He is my brother and, yes, yours too! So will you help me in burying him? Or be your same old self, scared, unwilling, and, like your email, a “goody two shoes?”

Your sister with a plan,
Antigone

TO: fighter4ever@defycreon.net
SUBJECT: How can you think that???

Antigone,

What’s going through your brain? Think about how Dad, Mom, Polynices, and Eteocles died. Dad stabbed out his eyes with his own hands and died hated by a ton of people. X-(. Mom hung herself and Polynices and Eteocles died battling it out against each other. We will die even worse then our whole family if we bury Polynices. How can you even think about burying Polynices when it’s against the law? Remember, we are women and shouldn’t be going against what the men say. We are young and should stick to the rules, not go against them.

So bottom line, my answer is no. I can’t go against Creon and the law and disobey. I have to go by the law and do what’s right. You should really listen to the law too and not do anything you’ll regret. It’ll get you killed.

Your smart sister,
Ismene

TO: goody2shoes@rulesarenotmeanttobebroken.net
SUBJECT: Do what you want; I’ll bury him myself

Ismene,

Ok so you won’t help me, and I won’t keep asking. Honestly idc what you do anymore, but if for some reason you change your mind and decide to help, I won’t let you. You will never share the work of burying Polynices with me. Ismene, you’ve made your decision, so just stick with it, and I’ll bury our brother on my own. Do whatever you want, but no matter what you say, I am going to go through with this. Go ahead and dishonor the laws that hold an honorable place in the gods’ hearts!

Oh and F.Y.I. if I do die because of it, it’ll be a death of glory and I will be with my loving brother. <3.

Just doing what is right,
Antigone

TO: fighter4ever@defycreon.net
SUBJECT: Watching out for you

Antigone,

You think that I’ll “dishonor the laws that hold an honorable place in the gods’ heart,” but I’m not dishonoring them by obeying the rules (and btw who talks like that anymore?). It’s just what you should do and what it right. I could never go against the rules; I don’t have the strength or courage. I know I can’t convince you to not go, but I’m scared for you and what’ll happen.

I’m not going to bury Polynices, but I will try to help. I promise to keep it a secret and not tell anyone for you. I know this is one thing that I can definitely do for you.

Even though I know you’re going to go through with this, you’re still my sister and you will always have a place in my heart. <3

Trying to help,
Ismene

SUBJECT: You’re not helping

Ismene,

Don’t be scared for me, just focus on your life and yourself. And DON’T keep it a secret! I will hate you forever if you do. Tell everyone you know, text people, post it on Facebook, put it online, idc! Tell everyone! Just leave me to my doing and my own actions. Just know that if I don’t die without glory, I will suffer forever.

Going to bury Polynices,
Antigone

This is a piece that is based off of the play Antigone, lines 1-115. It retells what is going on in these lines, but in an e-mail format.