My Heavy Foot | Teen Ink

My Heavy Foot MAG

I got my first speeding ticket coming home from my boyfriend’s house. I should have started an hour and a half earlier because of my driving curfew, but my parents let me leave his house at midnight.

If you have traveled on the roads after midnight, you know that there is hardly any traffic. As I got on the interstate I realized how tired I was, so I turned up the music and my foot got really heavy! I was going 80 in a 60-mile-an-hour zone. For some reason, I thought the speed limit was 70, but I was so wrong! I knew I was going 80, but I thought, Only 10 over, what the heck.

The interstate seemed dead, with no other vehicle in sight, just me and the road ahead. I was tired and ready to be home. After a while, I finally did see another car. It was going in the opposite way. As we passed each other, all I remember were the bright headlights in my face. The car came across the median and straight toward me. I freaked out, slammed on my brakes and pulled over to the side of the road. It took me a good five seconds to come to a complete stop from the 80-miles-an-hour. Five seconds is a long time when trying to stop at that speed.

When my car finally stopped, it felt like my heart had too. My eyes filled with tears and I was in total shock. At first, I didn’t realize it was a policeman, I thought it was some crazy person turning around in the median. But, when I saw the red and blue lights, I knew this was going to be bad. The cop came to my door and simply said, “License and registration, please.” I didn’t say a word. Sniffing back my tears, I handed it to him. He said, “You’ll probably have to go to court since you are a minor.” Then, he handed me the ticket and walked off.

A month later, my mom and I were in juvenile court and I received a sentence of 56 hours of community service. In addition, I was only allowed to drive to school and church for four months. So, all you drivers out there with a heavy foot, my advice is to lighten up while you can!

i love this !

lilnikohl SILVER, Buckeye, Arizona
This was beautiful!I had the same experience!