Decision | Teen Ink

Decision

By Lizzy12 GOLD, Palmyra, New York
Lizzy12 GOLD, Palmyra, New York

<No one can make you feel inferior without your consent> Elenor Roosevelt

What is the basis of a decision? Why do we choose an orange napkin over a blue? Why do we get the polka dot socks rather than the striped socks? Why did you pick that spoon rather than the one right next it which is just as close? How do people pick a certain insignificant object over another? And Why?

The human mind is a beautiful thing and unraveling the many strings of secrets that it beholds is a never ending journey. Is it peer pressure that makes us pick the orange napkin? Did a friend also pick an orange napkin or perhaps an enemy picked the blue. Do we subconsciously pick the orange napkin once are friend did in an effort to hide and not stand out. Or is the decision a conscious one, are we actually thinking “Orange is for me if I pick blue people might notice and judge me with my enemy in mind.” Or is that implying too much into the average persons thoughts and intentions. Why blue? Why Orange? Why Stripes? Is it because it’s are favorite pattern? Why does a person find stripes more appealing then polka dots? “Just Because”?

Can such a decision influence are lives? I would say so. An average woman decides to wear her blue blouse. She has no reason nor does she realize at that point the impact it could have. The women walk down the street, into the bank and waits. A man nears and compliments her on her blue shirt; it draws the eyes up to her round, light blue eyes. They decide to go on a date, and another and another. They get married. When telling of their meeting do they mention this blue shirt? Did the blue shirt even matter? Was it the shirt that caught the attention? If it was the shirt what if she had worn the green one instead? Would she still be years later in this same mans company laughing at the dinner table telling about their meeting? Could a decision as simple as the color of a shirt influence some one’s life?

Could a decision as simple as the color of a shirt influence some one’s life?