Roarin 1920's | Teen Ink

Roarin 1920's

March 27, 2010
By kaelaxoxo BRONZE, Hicksville, New York
kaelaxoxo BRONZE, Hicksville, New York
2 articles 11 photos 2 comments

After World War 1 Businesses boomed and the automobile changed the way Americans lived. Women could now vote and movies and radios brought entertainment to millions of Americans. The 1920’s were both times of exciting changes and times of fear and intolerance.
The 1920’s had many exciting changes such as the automobile, movies, and women’s rights. The automobile was finally affordable in the 1920’s. They were known as luxury items. They were lowered in prices because they were being mass produced. The car that was affordable was called the Model-T car made by Henry Ford. Movies were released in the 1920’s. Millions of Americans loved going to the movies. Hollywood also produced the first “talkie” which a movie about traditional and new American values. Women’s rights were granted in the 1920’s. They could now vote, work outside of their homes, and sit in juries.

Despite the luxury life many Americans lived, there were also bad changes such as prohibition, alcohol, farmer suffer, and the formation of The Ku Klux Klan. Prohibition was when people were smuggling alcohol into America when it was illegal. The 18th made this illegal. The bars in the 1920’s were called speakeasies. Women were also allowed in these. Farmers also suffered from the changes of the 1920’s. During World War 1 Europeans were buying goods from the farmers. When the war was over farmers went into debt. The Ku Klux Klan was also very active during the 1920’s.They were a secret organization of people who believed that white protestant people were superior to all others. It originated in Tennessee after the Civil War as a group of ex-confederate soldiers. It disbanded in the early 1870’s, but was revived in 1915 as a nationwide group of terrorist organization. It attacked African-Americans, Catholics, Jews, and foreign immigrants, and opposed birth control, pacifism, and the repeal of prohibition. During the early 1920’s membership of The Ku Klux Klan reached an estimated four and a half million people.

The 1920s were times of changes, excitement, fads, movies, radios, luxury, fear, intolerance, and depression. In the 1920’s the people that lived these lives were finally seeing changes and could finally do the things they wanted to do. Some had to forget about these changes and worry about the bad things happening like debt and suffer. The 1920’s were both times of exciting changes and times of fear and intolerance.