Why do it? | Teen Ink

Why do it?

March 2, 2010
By mscott BRONZE, Fruita, Colorado
mscott BRONZE, Fruita, Colorado
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

I was so excited for this day to come, but now that it’s here I can’t wait for it to be over. My hands are so clammy, well I think they are I can’t quit tell from all the sweat seeping out of every pore in my body, that I cannot get a hold of the ball. I keep telling myself I have to make this shot, I can do it, I have to if I want to be part of the team. It’s crazy how it is only try outs and I am this nervous. What if I make the team and freeze up in a game? Now I am just freaking myself out, I just need to focus. I get the ball and shot a three pointer, it swishes and I make it. I look over at the coach and she smiles with approval. That was the last of tryouts and I made the team.

I walk out of the gym with a huge smile on my face excited to meet my boyfriend to tell him that I made it. With out his support and my friends support as well I don’t think I would have ever had the courage to try out for the team, but I am glade I did. When I arrived home to tell my parents, it was like they already knew. They both had huge smiles on their faces and before I could say anything they ran up and squeezed me so tight I couldn’t breath. After getting my breath back they apologized for squeezing me so tight and said they couldn’t help it, they were so proud of me. “How do you guys already know that I made the team?” I asked. They simply said that they knew that I would because they had faith in me. It felt like I was floating on air all day that day.

The next day at school everyone congratulated me for making the varsity team when I was only a sophomore in high school. Teachers I didn’t even know congratulated me. Towards the begging of the day I was nervous for my first practice just because I was on the varsity team with a bunch of seniors and some juniors, but as the day went on and I saw my team members they said they were excited to have me on the team, well some of them. There was a few who weren’t to happy that they had a little sophomore on their team but it wouldn’t be high school if some people were always nice to you.

You have to make this shot for the team, three more points and we win and make it to the play offs, I kept telling myself. As I was just about to shot, the image of the coach looking at me with a smile of approval on the day of tryouts flashed through my head. I took the shot and scored. Everyone ran up and jumped on me. It was then that I knew I had a team for life, or until I finished high school at least.
The one thing I learned from this experience is to never give up no matter who tries to put you down. I believed in myself and with that made the team and gained some enemies but I also gained some really good teammates and friends. You never know what’s going to happen if you don’t believe in yourself and not try. Remember that, I know I will.