It's More than a Petal | Teen Ink

It's More than a Petal

January 20, 2010
By ctsweet854 BRONZE, Wyoming, Michigan
ctsweet854 BRONZE, Wyoming, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 3 comments

A flower portrays passion and beauty in so many different ways. The brilliant colors, the smell, and even the shape show that there is so much more to a flower than can be seen. A flower can grow into a majestic field of daisies or into a magnificent yellow sunflower. What can you say about a flower petal? What meaning does this give to a flower, and how can it possibly show beauty and elegance? A flower may be gorgeous, but it’s nothing without its petals. The petals give a flower its own way to be unique. Without them all flowers would look the same. The colors of each and every petal are rainbows of brightness, and they make the flower shine so that everyone will notice it.
A flower petal lies before her resting in the palm of that young girl’s hand. It shivers from the frost that has covered its majestic beauty. This petal was the only one that still remained. The other ones had turned brown and wilted. They then passed their beauty to the soil of the earth. This petal came from a flower that had a lot of meaning. The petal came from a flower that was given to a young girl in recognition of something great that she has accomplished. This petal was covered in tears before it was planted into the deep rich soil. It suffocated under the rocks that barely allowed it to breathe the rich oxygen that the trees gave off. This flower was suffocating, after it had become overwhelmed with tears of sorrow. The tears of being done with something that the young girl had loved. This petal that barely lives cries, while sitting in her hand. It longs to return to its original home, so it can live fully once again. This wish is impossible though. No petal can return to its home once it slowly falls to the ground wilted and brown. The petal drips its melting frost, making a puddle in the young girl’s hand. She can feel the petals pain run through her fingers and into the palm of her hand. The cold, wet drips make her cringe as they slip through her fingers and send shivers through her body. The petal is wilting, and dying every time a drip of melting frost falls to the ground.
Never had the young girl seen a perfect flower like this that brought such a huge smile to her face, but tears at the same time. It reminded her of all of the memories that she has went through the past four years. She looked at the flower and was amazed of the colors she saw and what the colors had reminded her of. It was like a rainbow of remembrance. This flower brought so many memories back to her. She began to cry as she held the flower close to her nose. A teardrop falls onto one of the petals. The girl doesn’t even notice that the flower was being poisoned by her tears of mourning and painful sorrow. Another teardrop falls slowly onto the same petal and makes it droop to the stem. The flower starts to shiver in pain with every teardrop from the girls eyes. The tears that rolled down her cheeks tasted of the closeness of her skin.
The girl brings the flower home that same night, and plants it in her front yard to show everyone around her the true beauty of the magnificent flower. Not long after, the flower began to wilt and the memories started to drain from the beautiful petals. The colors, smell and shape had lost its lust. A few days later the petals started to fall of the flower, as if the girl’s life was starting to fall apart. She was growing up, and her memories were no longer a part of her. The petals hit the ground and break apart. The girl goes out one morning and looks at the flower that used to be. There is one single petal that is still intact. The color and everything shines like the sun, but is now covered in shiny frost. She pulls it off and places it in the palm of her hand. She stares at it and starts to cry. She thinks about lots of things, and how all of her memories were going to disappear now that the flower was dead. The petal shivers in her hand and everything starts to come back. The petal sends shivers down the girl’s spine. Then the girl smiles because this petal that was once connected to that majestic flower was a memory full of memories. All of the good and the bad memories. The hard work and the tears that she had to go through. How tough she had to be when everyone was watching. She remembers all of the fun times and sad times. This petal was a thing she was going to keep forever so she wouldn’t forget. Not only is the petal a majestic icon but a memory that she will remember forever.


The author's comments:
What inspired me to write this piece was senior night during my volleyball season.