A GIFT | Teen Ink

A GIFT

By JetsSkaterGirl SILVER, Commack, New York
JetsSkaterGirl SILVER, Commack, New York

"That's What She Said" -Michael Scott "the office"

To give a gift – something each and every one of us can do. However, not all gifts are good, and not all gifts are liked and accepted. If you had the power to give the entire world a gift, what would it be? At first you may think of materialistic things. For example, money, a home, a car, or even a teddy bear. Why not give something more? Give peace, equality, or happiness. These gifts would be loved, better yet, they would change the world. A gift like that would surely be appreciated, and only be accepted by the meek.

“We have no right to ask when a sorrow comes, 'Why did this happen to me?' unless we ask the same question for every joy that comes our way.” This quote by an anonymous individual leads me to give the world the gift of appreciation. If people in the world just learned to appreciate what they have and the people around them, then the world would be a much happier place. Not appreciating things can lead to undue problems, one of such being physical problems. The physical problems can come in many forms like: stress, sleep deprivation, and mal-nourishment. The stress piles on when people start to work more and more so as to acquire more money to purchase the newest item, thus leading to economic hardships. Because people are working more, they sleep less. They pick up crazy hours, and work long into the night to finish any work related projects. Then, since they are scarcely home, they tend to eat what ever they can get their hands on such as a candy bar from the vending machine at lunch or numerous cups of coffee just to stay awake and focused. They need to work extra to make more money and to buy unnecessary items. The lack of appreciation that people have, have led them to do crazy things to get what they desire.

With appreciation, there are many more good and desired qualities that come with it; one of these qualities being contentment. Webster defines “appreciation” as this: appreciation (noun) - 1: an expression of admiration, approval, or gratitude, 2: increase in value. If a person shows this sort of appreciation, then contentness happily follows. For instance, if someone gives you a present and you show no appreciation for it, then you, the receiver, and the giver are unhappy. On the other hand, if you show great appreciation for that present, both of you will be happy, and you, content. As you can see, not only will society be healthier, it will be happier as well – but only if people learn how to appreciate things.

A very well known quote used today is “There is more happiness in giving, than there is in receiving.” (Acts 20:35) This quote does not say that there is no happiness in receiving, just less than there is in giving. So, I would like to receive the gift of meekness. Some may consider the connotation of meekness to be negative, but I see it as purely positive. To have meekness means that you can endure injury or trial with patience and without resentment. I would be greatly benefitted by this because I, and many others, undergo trials each and every day. Receiving meekness would allow me to get through whatever may befall me and what is uncertain. Knowing that I could go through trials and injuries also gives me a peace of mind that without meekness, I could not possess. I would be able to leave that situation when it was all over and done with, and not have any hatred towards any of the people or things involved. To me, that is a very good thing. To know that meekness also involves not being violent, I would never have the guilt haunting me that I had hurt another person badly – either by words or physical contact. If this is what meekness means, how could it be portrayed negatively?

Those were not the only aspects of meekness. Meekness also involves submissiveness. Being submissive could lead others to think that you are weak, a follower, or can’t think for yourself. Well, think of this: how many kids in this world have been injured badly or have been killed because of not being obedient to their parents? I know that I don’t want that to be me, so if I receive meekness, then it will be much easier for me to obey my parents. I do not have to be submissive only to my parents, though, but also to figures of authority, and the law of the land. Not being under submission to the law and people of authority could lead to serious problems down the road, such as jailing, and death. Meekness is a very good thing, and I want it.

I have decided to give a gift and I hope to receive one back. I may not be able to actually give the gift of appreciation, but that doesn’t mean that I can’t show it to others, and thus they show appreciation to other people, and cause an ongoing chain reaction. Someone doesn’t actually have to give me the gift of meekness, it is something I myself can cultivate. One day, maybe I will be able to give my gift, but until that day comes, I will demonstrate it as best as I can.

I really appreciate the comments!!!