Look at me. | Teen Ink

Look at me.

By Emily Moore BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina
Emily Moore BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina

My friend Greg tells me you can see the Acid in people’s eyes. He’s hardcore, he would know.

I say, you can see everything. Or at least, I can.

People look in his eyes and all they see is a druggie.
I see a guy who never met his father. Who has gotten kicked out his house on numerous occasions. Who met the wrong people in his life. Who is a brilliant musician. Who is the nicest person I know. Who is my best friend.

People look in my friend Dylan's eyes and all they see is someone trapped in the closet.
I see a guy who is struggling with his identity. Who questions his Mormon religion. Who lives in the shadow of his older siblings. Who doesn’t know what it feels like to live life without being judged. Who treats me to Panera weekly. Who is my best friend.

People look in my ex-boyfriend’s Jordan's eyes and all they see is someone who broke my heart.
I see a guy who’s heart is broken more than mine. Who is constantly told he’s not good enough. Who is still dealing with his parents messy divorce. Who is a beast on the soccer field. Who hasn’t yet found a healthy way to express his anger. Who still loves me even though we’ve been through more drama than Britney Spears. Who is my best friend.

People look in my friend Morgan's eyes and all they see is the ultimate goody-two-shoes.
I see a girl who wishes she got to make amends with her father before he died. Who tries but just can’t seem to make her mom happy. Who works harder than anyone I know. Who has the most beautiful singing voice. Who is my best friend.

People look at my friend Melissa's eye and all they see is a bisexual. I see a girl who has dealt with the grief people give her for having two moms her whole life. Who has been told she’s going to hell time and time again. Who doesn’t shave her legs because she doesn’t want to fit into the mold society has set out for her. Who makes it a goal to make people laugh everyday. Who is my best friend.

So please. When you look in my eyes, don’t see the girl with the big boobs. Don’t see a brainiac. Don’t see a straightedge.

Instead, see me. Your best friend.