Anne Boleyn, Queen of Manipulation | Teen Ink

Anne Boleyn, Queen of Manipulation

July 23, 2009
By MumblingMelanie DIAMOND, Jackson, Missouri
MumblingMelanie DIAMOND, Jackson, Missouri
79 articles 0 photos 210 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't be a victim; be a titan.


In the early 1500s, there was a little girl born into the Boleyn family. Her name was Anne, and she was destined for great things...and a horrible demise.
As she grew, it was discovered she was not the stereotypical "perfect" girl of that time. Anne Boleyn was witty, clever, loud, intelligent, and very opinionated. She was not afraid to speak her mind.
I believe that her fatal flaw was that this future queen was power hungry. Like a majority of her family, she strived to be at the top.
This meant doing things that no respectable person would do.
In the early 1520s, Anne returned to England after gaining an education in the court of Queen Claude of France.
In time, it became clear that the king (Henry VIII) did not favor her, but her sister, Mary.
Soon Mary gave the king two children: a daughter and a son. But the king was a restless man. While Mary was in her chamber for a long period of time, he took a fancy to Anne.
But Anne refused to be his mistress. The only way she would ever be his is if he divorced his long time wife (who was also his late brother's wife) Katherine of Aragon.
Henry desired Anne so much that he would do anything for her. He turned against his wife, fired a trusted cardinal, reformed the church of England, and ceased communication with the Pope. All for Anne Boleyn.
As king, Henry VIII got what he wanted.
In January of 1533, Anne and Henry wed. Months later, in May, Archbishop Cranmer declared the marriage between Queen Katherine and King Henry to be false.
4 weeks later, Anne was crowned Queen of England.
The only thing that Henry wanted was a son, an heir to his throne.
Eventually, Queen Anne had Elizabeth, who would later become Queen of England herself.
But, try as she might, Anne could not have a son.
Jane Seymour soon caught the king's eye. The queen noted this quickly, and wanted to send Jane into exile. The king would not allow it.
At this point, Anne was doomed.
The king decided that he was tired of this queen too, and pressed charges against her.
Anne Boleyn was imprisoned in the Tower of London.
When the time came for her beheading, it was reported that she was happy for the time, and almost ready to die.
It has also been said that when she came forward to put her head to the scaffold, she did not cry. No, she did not beg for mercy: she apologized to the executer for having a skinny neck.
So, on May 19, 1536, Anne Boleyn's was beheaded.

I believe that Anne Boleyn is an inspiration to women and girls everywhere. In a time where women were nothing but servants to their husbands, Anne stood out.
She had a bright, intelligent, witty personality. She showed it off, and never hid herself. She wore fashions that were far from customary to her English court.
When Anne wanted something, she WOULD have it.

So now, buried in St Peter ad Vincula Chapel under a marked tile, Anne Boleyn, a strong and worthy Queen of England, will always be remembered as how she fought her way through stereotypes and rules to the throne.


The author's comments:
I have a really weird obsession with Anne Boleyn's time period. Later I might write one about her daughter, Elizabeth I.
I don't know if I double posted this one or not...guess we'll wait and see xD