To Wet The Pencil's Tip | Teen Ink

To Wet The Pencil's Tip

August 10, 2009
By aspiring.author.09 PLATINUM, Beaumont, Other
aspiring.author.09 PLATINUM, Beaumont, Other
34 articles 0 photos 70 comments

Sam is in a car crash and wakes up to find herself in the body of a famous actress.

Brianne is bullied at school but what she discovers is about to send her to the top of the social chain.

Hannah gets competitive with their soccer team’s best player, while trying to keep her parents from getting a divorce.

Kat is a fourteen-year-old loser girl who can’t write a book to save her life.

The last story idea sounded about right. I pounded the keyboard with the end of my pencil, creating small marks on the keys. The screen then read: “fyhedws367jfdx0;”
Which was the best idea I had come up with since sitting down at the computer to write my final essay for Language Arts. My favourite subject was going to be the reason for my death. And what a shame, at such an early age. I wouldn’t even have gotten the chance to write a bestseller that became more popular than Stephenie Meyer’s “Twilight” series.
Look around you for inspiration. Inspiration can hit you when you least expect it.
Well so could love. Or a car.
In the simply normal computer room, there was absolutely no inspiration. On the long, modernized desk, unfinished homework assignments and job applications were strung. Last night’s bowl of ten o’clock strawberry sorbet sat empty on top of the modem. A Mr. Sketch lay next to a looseleaf covered in red scribbles.

A red marker, strawberry-stained bowl, and pile of abandoned papers come to life at night and make evil plans to escape the stuffy computer room and RULE…THE…WORLD!!!

Argh! Nothing would go. It was like on Discovery Channel when the beavers build their dam and the river stops flowing…something was keeping my creative juices from gliding from my head and onto my fingertips.

What always happens is I come up with about a page of really good stuff, but I can never develop it into a story, or even a chapter. When my mind won’t wander any farther I basically put up a wall, or a temporary ending, until I can come back and write when my head is full with new ideas again.