Robots Don't Love (Now) | Teen Ink

Robots Don't Love (Now)

August 6, 2009
By Anonymous

I like technology. I like programming computers and I like robots. Programming is when a person writes in a way they understand so that they can make a computer do something. For instance, cout<<"Hello" would mean 0x0043fa78 to a computer. I don't understand 0x0043fa78, but I do understand "ouput the line 'Hello' to the computer."

I've been doing an algorithm contest this summer. It involves solving problems that you can't do by hand. For instance, what's the 2,000,000th prime? I dunno. It'd probably take me a long time to find out on paper. I do know how to make a computer do that, though. That's how people program algorithms; they tell a computer what to do and the computer does it SUPER FAST!

This contest has gotten me to thinking: robots don't love. Let's assume we're using just regular computers; if we used a "Neurotronic Brain" like a Star Wars thing, robots might have emotion; if we copied the electrochemical functions of the neuron network in the brain and let it run, it could probably output something resembling emotion.

So, assuming we just have basic data types, which are numbers, letters, true-false, and different ways of organizing those types, we wouldn't be able to make an emotion.

Consider what takes place when you're sad. You don't go through every possible scenario to explain why your girlfriend broke up with you. You may not make the next "logical decision" to move on, at least not right away.

All those movies that romanticize cybernetic constructs are full of bologna. They're predictable; they function as they're programmed.

On the other hand, if the brain could be emulated on the computer, perhaps we could be predictable and just function as we're programmed. But make no mistake, 'cause we're not robots, 'cause robots don't love.