The Scarf. | Teen Ink

The Scarf.

March 6, 2009
By Anonymous

I remember it like it was yesterday.

I slammed the door so hard the walls shock and books fell off my bookshelf.
I was alone. I cried my eyes out. I cried for so long, so hard my tears ran out.
I wouldn't believe it. It couldn't be true. They had to be lying. But why would they do that? Why do they want to hurt me? What could I have done that so bad that they wanted to hurt me? It couldn't have been the scarf.

She always told me she loved me. Said she be around forever and that she never hurt me. So why does she hurt me now? Why did they say she's gone and is never coming back? She loved me right? Did I do something wrong? Was I the one who started the fight. It was only a scarf.
Yes, I wasn't suppose to be in her room. Or touch her stuff. But that scarf is so pretty I only wanted to touch. She stormed in and we yelled at each other. But I was sick of screaming. So I stormed off.
She tried to see me the next day but I wouldn't open the door. She called out my name and I told her to "Go Away". I loved her so much. And I hope she loved me too. But it got harder and harder to tell after the accident with the scarf.

One minute she was happy and the next sad, then angry. I could always tell what kind of day it was by the look of her hair. If it was put up in a mess it was a bad day. If it was combed and running down her back it was a good day. She'd be happy all day. Till it wore off. Then she'd run off and come back even happier than before. That stupid scarf. I thought if I keep it a secret and didn't tell she'd stop. But by the time I knew I was wrong. It was to late.

I knew she be angry. That she'd hate me for telling, but I had to. I went to my parents room after she left. And I told them about the scarf...

When I saw her wear it ,it made her look so beautiful. Her eyes were bright and colorful. I wanted to see it. She said, "No! And I better stay out of her room." She had to know I wouldn't. About an hour later she went out and i snuck into her room. I opened the bottom drawer where she keep all her beautiful stuff. There it was all bright and shiny. That stupid scarf. It was heavy and something was rapped in it. When i shook it some things fell out. I gasped when i saw the needle fall out, I was seven I hated needles. Some other stuff came out too. Baggies of white powder. I knew what this was my parents told me about drugs and peer pressure but I never thought twice about it. What did they say i tried to remember. That they could hurt you and also make you very sick. Then why did she have some. I heard the front door slam and my sister sating she forgot something. I put everything back in the scarf and the drawer. And she walked in. I guess she thought I just opened the drawer because she didn't say anything about the drugs. When I finished telling them they stared at me mouths hanging open. I guess they never expected that's whats wrong with her. The next part gets very hazy. There was a lot of yelling that night. I was told to stay in my room but it couldn't keep out the sounds. I heard my father say she's not leaving. But she said I'm 18 I'll do what I want.

I didn't see her for years. I got letters and birthday cards but she never came back. When I was 14 I came home from school to find both my parents sitting at the table. I could tell mom had been crying. I asked what was wrong. They sat me down and told me that they were so sorry but my sister was dead.
I stared at them and told them their lying and ran to my room.

I slammed the door so hard the walls shock and books fell off my bookshelf.
I was alone. I cried my eyes out. I cried for so long, so hard my tears ran out.
I wouldn't believe it. It couldn't be true. They had to be lying. But why would they do that? Why do they want to hurt me? What could I have done that so bad that they wanted to hurt me?

It was that stupid scarf.