Being in the | Teen Ink

Being in the

By Annelise Niermann BRONZE, Plymouth, Michigan
Annelise Niermann BRONZE, Plymouth, Michigan

Some people think that being in the popular crowd is what junior high is about. Sure it is great to have everyone like you and wish that they were you, but it is even better when someone does that because you are truly someone to like. I learned that the hard way. We were taking one of the hardest math test of the year and there was complete silence. Then out of nowhere I heard a light beeping sound. I looked around the classroom to see if I could find out where the noise was coming from. One of the girls I was about to become friends with look in her pencil case, move things around, close it up, and then go back to her test. A couple a minutes later there was another light beeping sound. Again I looked around the room and saw another girl I was about to become friends with look in her pencil case, move things around, close it up, and then go back to her test. This repeated a couple of times. I figured they must be cheating. They had to be texting the answers to each other. I was so mad, but I tried to ignore it and focus on my test. I thought about what had just happened. I didn’t want to become friends with these girls if they had enough guts to text in the strictest teacher’s classroom. I didn’t want to take the chance and end up getting in trouble along with them some time in the long shot. I just didn’t think it was worth it. At that point I didn’t care about what I would be able to do, or hang-out with. I wanted friends that I would be able to look up to, and I knew these girls are not the people to hang around with. So I left them. I choose friends that I could count on.

I decided to write about this because it really happened to me. I know a lot of kids that go through this, and i wanted to tell them that they are not alone.