My Gratitude | Teen Ink

My Gratitude

By Alvin Augustine BRONZE, Arlington Heights, Illinois
Alvin Augustine BRONZE, Arlington Heights, Illinois

This goes out to all the people who told me I couldn’t. Who told me I wasn’t tall enough, strong enough, or smart enough; never encouraging but always discouraging. This goes out to everyone who has ever said that I suck, and I’ll never get better; that I’m just wasting my time or that I’m a joke. The ones that told me, even with all the hard work I did, that I still wasn’t good enough.

And this goes out to all the people who told me I could. Who told me it didn’t matter how tall, strong, or smart I was; always encouraging and never discouraging. This goes out to everyone who told me I am good and that I’ll get even better; that I’m a time bomb waiting to explode. The ones that told me that if I continued my hard work, I’ll soon be the best.

All these people have helped me become better. All the discouragement and encouragement have only made me try and work harder. It gave me the extra edge I needed to not stop going when life put a roadblock in my path. It’s because of all of you who brought me up and threw me down that I wouldn’t quit in whatever I did. It’s because of all of you I gained the mental toughness I needed to zone out the distractions surrounding me everyday. It’s all because of you that I am who I am now. And I just have one thing to say to all of you.

Thank you.