airplanes | Teen Ink

airplanes

By Daniel riley BRONZE, Park City, Utah
Daniel riley BRONZE, Park City, Utah

Airplanes are a great invention to humans. They help people in many ways. Without airplanes life would be more difficult.

Humans have been trying to fly for thousands of years but it was not until 1903 what the first working plane was made. This first airplane was made by Orville and Wilbur Wright. This plane was a kite like glider with a 12 horse power engine. The Wright brothers were able to fly their plane for 12 seconds traveling 120 feet. Human kind was now able to fly. During the next century many new airplanes and engines were developed to help transport people, luggage, cargo, military personnel, weapons and much more.

Ever since the first flight, people have used airplanes in many ways. Most often planes are used for travel. Usually traveling is done in either small commuter aircraft or large airliners that can carry several hundred passengers. Airplanes are also used in the military. The military fly a variety of aircraft types including bombers, fighters and transporters. These plains are mainly used in wars. Last there is general aviation. General aviation consists of recreational flight and cargo planes.

How can a hunk of metal fly through the sky as if it were weightless? The airplanes wings are what enable it to fly. Wings create lift because of the curved surface on top of the wing. Air flows over the wing faster on the bottom than on the top. This creates a low pressure on top of the wing which creates a vacuum sucking the wing upward.

Airplanes are a great invention to humans. They help people in many ways. Without airplanes life wouldn’t be as good. But thanks to airplanes people can travel farther, faster, carry cargo and much more.