The Friendship Puzzle | Teen Ink

The Friendship Puzzle

By iyang712 BRONZE, Bedminster, New Jersey
iyang712 BRONZE, Bedminster, New Jersey

As a child, I loved playing with puzzles.  Every single afternoon after school would find me in the basement of my house completing another 500 piece puzzle. It came to a point where I was so obsessed with puzzles, that I had restrictions put on my time for playing with puzzles. I found satisfaction in finding the correct pieces that fit together with another piece, and completing yet another picture. That is also how friendships work. In order to form a true lasting friendship, one has to find another person that perfectly fits together with one’s own personality traits. Three of the most important components that a true friend includes loyalty, a complementing personality, and honesty.

Oftentimes, two people cannot form true friendships because they don’t know how to bond with each other. This problem most likely results from a lack of trust between the two. However, trust comes hand in hand with loyalty, and none can exist without the other. A loyal friend will always have the other’s backs and will stick with them through thick and thin. One of the reasons why a dog is called “man’s best friend” comes from the fact that canines are fiercely loyal. They will stick with and protect their owners, even if it means sacrificing their lives to save their owner.  If both friends have the loyalty like that of man’s best friend, a lasting friendship may blossom.

Another important component in the puzzle of friendship comes from complementing personalities. Most people get along with others who share their passions, ideas, and values. Too many differing ideas can create problem, but identical ideas may create even more conflict due to a lack of individuality. Complementing personalities also creates many opportunities for both friends to bond through discussions and the sharing of their different passions or ideas. Similar to how one finds the perfect balance between sweet and bitter when making tea, when two friends find the perfect blend of their individual personalities, their personalities will complement each other, leading to a better friendship.

Furthermore, friendships will not last long unless both friends can deal honestly with each other. In order to develop a strong relationship with a friend, both have to communicate openly and honestly towards the other. They cannot shy away from sharing their true feelings or thoughts with their friend. Whether negative or positive, it is crucial that two friends can openly share their opinions to the other. Likewise, two friends have to be able to receive criticism from each other and learn about their faults and flaws. Once friends learn how to deal communicate with each other honesty, their friendship will grow stronger as they build each other up.

As Robert Louis Stevenson puts it, “A friend is a gift you give yourself.” Once you find a friend who has honesty, loyalty, and a complementing personality, you have given yourself a big gift that can last you for the rest of your life. Friends that have these three elements will form strong friendships in which both friends benefit.  As an individual puzzle piece, everyone has their unique shape and appearance, but they all have a part of them that exactly fits another piece. When those two matching individual pieces fit together, they form part of a bigger picture- friendship