Drug Addictions | Teen Ink

Drug Addictions

By Kerry22 BRONZE, Houston, Texas
Kerry22 BRONZE, Houston, Texas

There are many people out in this world suffering from the over usage of drugs and this must stop. We should help those with addictions especially those that have to do with drugs, so the world can decrease in certain casualties. If we don’t help end this, we will always and forever have tragedies involving and dealing with drugs.

Many people use drugs across the globe without being aware of the consequences. Some drugs might be worse than others, but it is still overall a deadly substance. One of the most used drugs is marijuana (mostly known as weed) which is used by multiple age groups. Some people might think marijuana is not harmful, but it changes your personality in multiple ways. As you use this drug, you may experience a strong sense of anxiety, may fear someone is watching you when there is nobody there, start to smell things.

Another commonly used drug is alcohol . Alcohol is the second leading drug that causes many deaths of teens in the U.S. In the U.S., forty percent of people in hospital beds are patients being treated due to alcohol consumption. Most of these incidents are from drunk driving. Alcoholism is very disruptive all over the world, but the people who are obsessed in using it treat it like water or food and makes it hard for them to overcome this addiction

Marijuana, also known as weed, is a very commonly used drug by many age groups, mostly used by 18-29 year olds. Some people might think marijuana is not harmful, but it changes your personality in multiple ways. As you use this drug, you may experience a strong sense of anxiety, may fear someone is watching you when there is nobody there, start to smell things. After, people might start to judge you and your appearance now that drugs have taken over your life.

Cocaine also known as coke is also a very serious drug or substance. It can be snorted through the nose, inhaled through smoke, or injected into your skin (most likely a vein). Using this drug can give you extreme happiness and energy, hypersensitivity to touch, sound, sight, and paranoia making you distrust others that you once trusted dearly.

Most people take drugs to fit in, relax, relieve stress, or to experiment for their first time doing drugs. They all have different reasons for doing it,  but are ignorant to the consequences. A lot of people just want to change things in their life because they feel as if they need to “escape” so doing drugs is their last resort. Others may not have the same choice, since some grew up in a family where drugs were abused around them all the time, so it would not be a surprise for a kid to start developing the same actions as time passes.

People who use drugs are unaware of the side effects and consequences. Abusing drugs can cause long term and short term effects on your body. Some long term effects are heart or lung diseases, cancer, mental illness, HIV/AIDS, hepatitis(inflammation of the liver), and other serious sickness. It can also interfere with your eating, ability to control your stress level, decision making, and the ability to learn and write. After you accumulate one or more of these diseases, being healed will be the biggest problem and that is when you will have most of your regrets.

Before you try helping someone who has a drug addiction, try to sit them down and have a peaceful conversation on what they are going through. You do not want to approach them to where you guys might start arguing since they have a short temper. It will be better to inform them about their behavior so they know what type of situation they are in. As they understand, you can suggest taking them to see a doctor, therapist, or sign them up for a program that helps patients who are addicts become free from their addiction. Anybody can be cured even a love one if you just help them get through it.

If we help each other as one, we can help drug addicts around the world, so that people in the future will not have to experience the things we do currently. We would not want to lose a family member if they overdosed or got into a serious accident, so help prevent that from happening.