Tough Times with Family Issues | Teen Ink

Tough Times with Family Issues

By Kxiarhos03 BRONZE, North Smithfield, Rhode Island
Kxiarhos03 BRONZE, North Smithfield, Rhode Island

Over the summer, my family had gone through some issues, and I was struggling to enjoy my summer and have fun with my friends. I tried to find something that would help me deal with this, but I just couldn’t find anything. People would always tell me that if I was going through something to tell them and that they would help me get through it, but I was afraid that what I was going through would be too much for them to handle and help me with. So, I would always tell them that I was fine and happy to show them that I was perfectly fine.

It took me a long time to find something to help me through these difficult times. I finally found it…. music. I found one artist in particular that helped me a lot, and that artist is Shawn Mendes. His music is just so powerful, motivational, and inspiring. One of his songs called “Hold on” is a song that has helped me get through this. A lyric in that song that helped me the most is, “I don't know what you're going through but there's so much life ahead of you and it won't slow down no matter what you do, so you just gotta hold on…” This lyric means to me to not give up and that things will get better even though it may feel like it’s not, it just takes time.

Another one of his songs called “A little too much” has helped me a lot also. A lyric in that song is, “Sometimes it all gets a little too much, but you gotta realize that soon the fog will clear up, and you don't have to be afraid, because we're all the same, and we know that sometimes it all gets a little too much.” To me this lyric means that everybody goes through tough times and that you’re not alone in a world where everyone is struggling with something. Everybody goes through their own problems. Not everyone shares everything that they’re going through because some people are fearful of allowing others to know that they are not always happy. This lyric also reveals that what you are going through doesn’t last forever even though it may feel like it, and that you don’t have to be afraid of anything because things will get better; they always do.  

I would listen to his music every day because it would help me get through the day without always feeling miserable. Shawn Mendes and his music are very important to me now that I listen to his music daily. Even though my friends and family think that I’m obsessed with Shawn and his music, little do they know that he has helped me get through the rough times that I am going through.

As time went by I have gotten happier and less sad and soon enough, things did get better. I talked to some of my friends about what I was going through, and they have helped me a lot to get through this. And this I believe: That the power of an artist’s music can help you when you’re going through tough times, especially with family issues. 

I hope people will understand that music can help you throughout tough times in your life.