The Oppression of Jews During WWII | Teen Ink

The Oppression of Jews During WWII

September 29, 2017
By JackL BRONZE, Austin, Texas
JackL BRONZE, Austin, Texas
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Between 1939 and 1945, the frightening, difficult, and tragic years for the Jews in both Germany and the surrounding countries, life was completely different than it is now. During those days, the Jews taken from their homes and either exterminated or forced to work.They feared Hitler and his supporters, the Nazis who frowned upon them. And the Nazis thought of the Jews as a threat. Although, the Jews followed authorities and obeyed most of the rules given, they were actually punished for just being a Jew. It did not matter whether they followed the rule or not.


During that time period, Jews were defined as scum to Germany. The Germans thought that the Jews were in the way of them because they were not a part of the “Aryan Race.” The Nazi Party believed that this race is the most powerful race in the world. But in reality, there was no difference in between them. The Germans were hating the Jews for no reason which caused them to fall for Hitler’s manipulative trap. That is because Hitler had simply used the Jews as a scapegoat so that they can blame someone on their losses and their troubles. For example, their loss of WWI and their economy crisis. The Germans would find ways to find them inferior too. For example, they would take measurements of skulls, claiming theirs was bigger. Therefore making the Germans smarter. They would just hope for at least one person’s skull to be bigger than the Jew’s. “After Hitler took power, Nazi teachers in school classrooms began to apply the "principles" of racial science. They measured skull size and nose length, and recorded the color of their pupils' hair and eyes to determine whether students belonged to the true "Aryan race." Jewish and Romani (Gypsy) students were often humiliated in the process” (ushmm.org). Germany was overall a dangerous place to be in. There was one way to be “safe” and it was by gene: Blond hair, blue eyes, the Aryan race.


In those days Jews had to live in Ghettos. Ghettos are extremely poor towns Jews were packed into before they were shipped off to camps. At the camps, their life was on the line whether they were chose to work or executed. Life was oppressive for the Jews in Germany. Everything was unjust and controlled for Jews by the Germans.
During WWII, the Germans abused the Jews by using them as a disposable resource. They shoved them in ghettos, murdered the inefficient, and forced the strong to work until they either gave up or escaped. Life was not easy and many tried their hardest to hide or escape. Sadly, not many people managed to escape the heavily guarded camps. Due to all of the ways the Jews were abused, their life in Germany was miserable.