The Teenage Brain Explained

The teenage brain. It’s a confusing thing. Us teenagers are gloomy, depressing and emotional. Now, we could blame this on how everyone hates us and we’re depressed and stressed out about life. Or, we could dive deep into the science behind our depressing brain.

Now, what you need to understand is that your brain isn’t fully developed by the time you’re a teenager. In fact, your brain grows a lot during puberty.

When you get smarter, older, and more mature, the connections between neurons in your brain become stronger. Those connections help axons travel from your brain to your muscles and senses quicker and more efficiently. Axons carry nerve signals from your brain to your body, and vice versa. If the connections are weak, you will have a harder time remembering those things, and you will eventually forget it.

Now, when most adults are presented with a problem (or something else), they react with their prefrontal cortex, which is in charge of making choices.  Teenagers do not. Our brains develop piece by piece.  Your brain starts developing in the back, and moves its way to the front. The prefrontal cortex is one of the last things to develop – around 25, actually.

So, when teens are presented with a problem, they don’t think with their prefrontal cortex. They think with their amygdala, which is responsible for emotions. That’s why teenagers get sad at the smallest things. We are always thinking with the part of our brain that’s responsible for making us gloomy or depressed.

Sorry, you can’t blame life for your depression. Science is responsible for it.